Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: any1 own/owned a tikka t3?

yea Ive had a weatherby & Howa - I also own a marlin & Remington & tikka. out of these makes if I was to go for a cheap rifle id go marlin, then Remington but Im real happy with the Tikka - I had nothing but dramas with the weatherby out of the box and ended up getting rid of it and dropping about $500 in the process. The howa was a .233 suppressed and nothing flash nailed a few fellow down south & a ok rifle, I guess all experiences are different eh? .

If I was recommending a rifle to anyone new to hunting I would still point them towards a Tikka or Remington. ...............hey but that's my 5c .... up to the buyer to ask the questions and do the home work . good luck fella ?
    Name:  Roys I Phone Snaps 292.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  532.6 KB
    Cheers
    Neckshot, Happy and RODSTA like this.
    Work Just Gets In The Way

Howas are wetherbys and in my opion slightly better as they have a slightly nicer stock thats piller bedded. I hate the hump back piece of shit stock on the weatherbys. All the rifles mentioned here are so close in performance and features its ridiculous have a look at them first hand and pick one you wont go wrong. Go hunting.
    308 and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Go hunting.
    And he hits in on the head. Yaaaahoooo. Good advise !!
    veitnamcam and RODSTA like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Howas are wetherbys and in my opion slightly better as they have a slightly nicer stock thats piller bedded. I hate the hump back piece of shit stock on the weatherbys. All the rifles mentioned here are so close in performance and features its ridiculous have a look at them first hand and pick one you wont go wrong. Go hunting.
    +1

I went for Savage after playing with then in the shop. Pick whichever feels the best to you.
    Happy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lehndorf View Post
    yea Ive had a weatherby & Howa - I also own a marlin & Remington & tikka. out of these makes if I was to go for a cheap rifle id go marlin, then Remington but Im real happy with the Tikka - I had nothing but dramas with the weatherby out of the box and ended up getting rid of it and dropping about $500 in the process. The howa was a .233 suppressed and nothing flash nailed a few fellow down south & a ok rifle, I guess all experiences are different eh? .

If I was recommending a rifle to anyone new to hunting I would still point them towards a Tikka or Remington. ...............hey but that's my 5c .... up to the buyer to ask the questions and do the home work . good luck fella ?
    Attachment 15583

Cheers
    Nice rifle Roy.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

308 Tikka T3 + Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 use tikka rings that come with rifle buy some ammo go do some shootin, ideal starting point, upgrade scope & rings when funds available
    Shearer likes this.

Cheers Happy - as most have said above - there's not a lot between rifles these days - the moneys best spent on the OPTICs - first light and last light is when it matters good glass is where it really pays off .
    Nathan F and Scouser like this.
    Work Just Gets In The Way

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lehndorf View Post
    Cheers Happy - as most have said above - there's not a lot between rifles these days - the moneys best spent on the OPTICs - first light and last light is when it matters good glass is where it really pays off .
    Good call, $800 seems to be the threshold for a decent rifle, anything over will be fine and they get better the more you spend, Just don't touch a Remy 770, Ruger American or Savage Axis!
    Optics are where money really matters!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Go to hunting and fining and see if they will do the deal they had going a while ago.
    It was a Tikka with Optilock rings (a lot better than the ones it comes with) a Burris E1 3-9x40, sling and a case for $1,500
    Alternatively there is the deal at Dead Eye Dicks.
    Off the top of my head it is a Sightron 1 3-9x40 with bag slight rings etc. Its off trademe now at the moment, but think the auction has just finished.
    The Ranger scope offered from GC is a piece of chinese crap that they have made for them. Go with either other package in whatever caliber suits you. Anything from .223 up will kill deer.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrunkfish View Post
    I cant speak for Marlin or Howa but Weatherby certainly make some excellent rifles.
    I can speak for the marlins had one in 25-06 and 7mm08 both of them were highly accurate my 7mm08 used to shoot 120gr privi ammo just under an inch at 100meters as for the 25-06 I reloaded for that and it used to like the heavier nosler ballistic tips.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by RODSTA View Post
    whys that ?
    Because I like them better - trigger, action, safety, feel etc.

Plus they're generally a bit cheaper, I see no reason to pay more for a rifle that doesn't do anything better just because its fashionable.

My advice is to handle a bunch of different options and get the one that you like the feel of best, simple as that.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 24-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.

"Howas are wetherbys and in my opion slightly better as they have a slightly nicer stock thats piller bedded. I hate the hump back piece of shit stock on the weatherbys. All the rifles mentioned here are so close in performance and features its ridiculous have a look at them first hand and pick one you wont go wrong. Go hunting."

I own a Weatherby Vanguard and can vouch for the stock being an ugly lump of heavy remoulded plastic but it shoots better than I do.

As others have said, get something with an action you like and spend at least as much as your rifle budget on your optics.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    "Howas are wetherbys and in my opion slightly better as they have a slightly nicer stock thats piller bedded. I hate the hump back piece of shit stock on the weatherbys. All the rifles mentioned here are so close in performance and features its ridiculous have a look at them first hand and pick one you wont go wrong. Go hunting."

I own a Weatherby Vanguard and can vouch for the stock being an ugly lump of heavy remoulded plastic but it shoots better than I do.

As others have said, get something with an action you like and spend at least as much as your rifle budget on your optics.
    Boyds make a nice stock for them! Tidies them up real nice!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Thanks Spud - think that's next on the list. Just suppressed it and fark it's good now

My advice for a half decent budget scope is not a weaver classic, bad experiences myself.
    A loopy vx1 or 2 or burris would a good place to start.

If you do go for the t3 in 308 you may want to consider a limbsaver or other quality recoil pad.
    While not objectionable to me the light weight and lack of any sort of recoil pad makes the t3 "brisk" in 308.
    If its your first center fire it would be worth lookin at.
    Others may tell you to cut the barrel in half and fit a suppressor.
    I won't.
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 24-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.