Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Anyone hunted and eaten wild peacock?

Turkeys and peacock can be great eating. My two favourite was is as schnitzel, and as burger patties. With the patties as you mince them add about 10% bacon and then once minced chuck in your favourite mixed herbs etc.
    You will do that once and then you will be looking for an excuse to go get more.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there was eposide of hunting with tui.....the ywere with guy culling them up north and using feathers ,sold them all over the place,even exporting I believe.... method of dispatch was .22lr up trees with spotlight.....too easy.
    They move deceptively fast and duck into scrub as well, you can use a dog to flush them and then shotgun time but finding the roosting tree and spotlighting is easier. Tried the stalking them with a 22 but too hard to get in range. The super can't be arsed being sneaky 22 (223) works well but not for meat recovery.

Used to hunt them regular for a guy who had problems due to numbers, switch on real quick plus hard on bird dogs on retrieve if not dead, made my Lab very hard mouthed, no good for ducks after peacocks. Hunted them in lot of fern country, great with the shotgun.

When it comes to toughmess the problem is that you don't know the age of the bird. It could be young and tender, or old and chewy. That's where mincing them for patties is great. I have been lucky using breasts for schnitzel and stirfry though. But that was because I'm pretty sure they were young birds. The same applies to wild turkeys. When peacocks get switched onto hunting it's like hunting wary deer. I couldn't believe how stealthy and hard to see they are when you bush stalk them... And how they scare the crap out of you when you're sneaking along in the bush in silent mode and they burst out of the tree above you...
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    they can run 30kmph to avoid being squashed under front of fert truck !!!!!! surprised me how quick they can go...looked funny as hell,like a road runner cartoon.
    Really...

Had a tonne on a dairy farm Near Cleavdon. Breasted them out but normally only the hens, gave the Cock's meat away. They can be extremely cunning. I took mine with a shotgun and spotlight in the trees as they could sense me coming a mile away with a gun but ignored me without one.

You can understand why they are so wary, their home territory has plenty to eat them.
    We saw a tiger in Nepal and the deer barking and the peacocks squawking is a pretty good indicator.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Really...
    really........funny as heck it was,I did button off so it could go sideways and escape.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    We used to eat semi wild peacock for xmas dinner and it was excellent. This method works for peacock, turkey, goose and is from Heston Blumenthal :
    Youngish bird, light brine overnight in 20ltr bucket. Drain and dry off. Brown in pan with a mix of clarified butter and olive oil until golden and crispy skin. Cook in oven bag on bed of Kumara slices or in the case of a goose, on a cake rack to let grease drain away. Cook slow 4-5 hours. Very good, will not disappoint
    rupert and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Breast them and cook thin steaks hot and fast. Find where they roost and spotlight them out of the tree
    This is exactly how to "hunt" them.

Been on a few culling missions - with a subs in a suppressed .22, you can get 10 birds out of a tree no problem.

Hot & fast - Peacock patties are good, just rolled in crumb like chook.

I really enjoy hunting them over dogs, just like Pheasants.

A few of our pheasant blocks are starting to turn up Peacocks, I look forward to them more than the Pheasants sometimes!

I have found they hold tight and flush really well.

Not bad eating either, normally breast them out and use in stir frys, drumsticks with the thigh left on go alright too

Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    I really enjoy hunting them over dogs, just like Pheasants.

A few of our pheasant blocks are starting to turn up Peacocks, I look forward to them more than the Pheasants sometimes!

I have found they hold tight and flush really well.

Not bad eating either, normally breast them out and use in stir frys, drumsticks with the thigh left on go alright too

They are great fun over a pointing dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    mikee, erniec, Oldbloke and 1 others like this.