Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By LMcNab
  • 2 Post By JessicaChen
  • 1 Post By SiB
  • 2 Post By JoshC
  • 6 Post By JoshC
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Sidetrack
  • 2 Post By JoshC

Thread: Anyone know if these Rata Range (Catlins) roads are locked?

Anyone know if these Rata Range (Catlins) roads are locked?

Looking to poke around in the Catlins area. There are a bunch of roads like Puketawa, Shaw, Rocky Knob, and Catlins roads southwest of the Rata range, east of the Catlins river track, that look like they snake through pine forestry. Does anyone know if these roads are private/locked?

Is there an easy way online to find out if roads are open or not? Ive been in situations where hunting plans were foiled because when I attempted to drive through an area to access DOC land, there was a big locked barrier in the way.
    Name:  roads.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  284.5 KB

I feel like I heard they had recently been gated.
    JessicaChen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    I feel like I heard they had recently been gated.
    Shame if true, though sometimes ive called forestry numbers on gates for access permission, they obliged (yay) on quiet days with no trucks. Other times with some companies they close those gates permanently to recreational users of the forest.
    If I end up checking that area out I will report back with the status. Depends on if I get a spot in one of the restricted areas.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

SiB
    If Rayonier it’s a whole new experience. Basically individuals are out. Clubs are in.

Some of the other companies are very accomodating
    JessicaChen likes this.

Sent pm

Access roads go thru forestry blocks. While harvesting in there they have the gates locked for safety reasons. So in short, yep they’re locked at the moment and have been for a couple of years. Forests are owned managed by Rayonier Matariki Forests in Invers if you want to talk to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JessicaChen and Micky Duck like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to find out which company owns the forestry there so I can at least ask them if I can walk by foot on the side of the roads there, but if there is going to be a lot of truck activity i will likely go elsewhere.

The better hunting around there is the fringes, which are all pretty accessible on foot. Only bush during the roar period. I wouldn’t bother going deep into that country unless it’s during the roar.

Get on the Catlins River Walk and cross anywhere up into the sunny faces over the river and you’ll find deer.

PM me with any specific areas you want to look at down that way and I’ll probably be able to help.

I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I know manager at Wisp Hill if you wanted me to ask him what the go is up there. Won’t be there much longer either though as that place is going into trees also…. Bloody criminal.
    JessicaChen and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

There was plenty of fresh sign at Willis Stream, about an hour easy walk down from the top car park. Nice place to camp and there is a forestry
    track to it if you manage to gain access. There were 4wheeler marks in the grass and a freshly setup possum trap.

I was there a couple of months ago just for day walk with my wife. Very pleasant and I think you’ll do okay. Easy enough to explore for the first time.
    JessicaChen likes this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I know manager at Wisp Hill if you wanted me to ask him what the go is up there. Won’t be there much longer either though as that place is going into trees also…. Bloody criminal.
    Is that the triangular shaped restricted block that is surrounded by private land? Looks more difficult to access at a glance, so i suppose access basically requires permission to walk across the private land.

That is a small restricted block, it’s steep and pretty hard hunting, but worth a look.

Wisp Hill Station mainly boundaries all the Catlins Rainforest Park from Mt Tautuku area westwards. From Catlins River walk past Thisbe Stream and west to Wairepo Creek.

There are a couple of access points off Cairn Road. ROW’s thru station to Public land go thru swamps, so you can’t follow them without trespassing.

Access to public land thru the station will improve in the future though which will be good.

JessicaChen and Finnwolf like this.