Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Arapawa Ram

Don't understand why you guys wait till it's real smelly............. please explain your logic/reason for waiting so long.....
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

I figure it should only take 2 weeks of maggoty action to clean out a skull that's been trimmed as much as possible so it shouldn't smell too much by that point. I'm probably wrong but it's only a goat skull and a few $$$ saved on my power bill would be great. If it still looks to be a mess when I go out to get it then I'll leave it for another 2 weeks. It's worked well for me with coyote skulls so I figured why not give it a try eh?

So you are just keeping the skull ,not getting it mounted?

Was the meat any good or tough as old boots?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

will its what a taxidermist told me to do, he did warm it would smell rather bad.
    Yip cant afford to get it fully mounted at this point. The meat was rough mate.... Had a very strong sheepy taste as you could imagine, edible tho

Mate that is a very nice looking ram.. Much recoil from the cannon? Going to order one in 7mmRM in the next week or so.

watch out for your dogs. they will chew them up if they can get to them

Quote Originally Posted by worms View Post
    Mate that is a very nice looking ram.. Much recoil from the cannon? Going to order one in 7mmRM in the next week or so.
    Cheers mate. Na pretty tolerable, obviously isnt a 243 or 308 soft but not to bad. Im only 80kg and manage just fine, scoped myself once tho, wasnt that fun.... 7mm will be softer than this i would imagine

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    will its what a taxidermist told me to do, he did warm it would smell rather bad.
    Yip cant afford to get it fully mounted at this point. The meat was rough mate.... Had a very strong sheepy taste as you could imagine, edible tho
    I doubt he's doing it as a career then........................
    Better to cook fresh meat than rotten.......................(The only difference)
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    I doubt he's doing it as a career then........................
    Better to cook fresh meat than rotten.......................(The only difference)
    Yeah i think the whole idea was that it would be easier to dump the skull in the pot with no horns on rather than trying to boil it will horns on while avoiding water marks on them. I dont have a pot that is suitable for doing it with the horns on, buggered if i could get it to fit in anything, i could imagine a tahr or chamois would be much much much easier to do

Name:  20130112_171642.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  469.0 KBName:  20130112_171654.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  502.1 KB

Finally got onto doing something with the ram, pretty happy with how it looks, might danish oil the horns
    Dundee likes this.

Looks pretty fancy to me!

Awsome matey! pleased it worked out well for you in the end and you took the advise from a taxidermist

Just out of interest what method did you use? rot slide cook clean peroxide etc or just boil it and hope that the horns slide off.

Courious

RUNAS

i used the rotting method, horns slide off easy. That made it fit in the pot to boil easy and i didnt have to worry about changing the colour of the horns. I thn peroxided it and left it in the sun for the day.

I may have boiled it for a bit long as the nose bones fell off. i am probably going to glue then back on

What area of NZ do you find the rams?

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    i used the rotting method, horns slide off easy. That made it fit in the pot to boil easy and i didnt have to worry about changing the colour of the horns. I thn peroxided it and left it in the sun for the day.
    AWSOME!! Good work.

RUNAS