Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Because we still can Bro....

Because we still can Bro....

My brother in law is 7 years younger than me,his health took turn for worst 10 years ago,fibrominalgia (however you spell it) is a bastard of a thing.
    we knew something was up when I chucked a red hindquarters on his shoulders and he struggled to carry it 100 yards up hill,numerous tests later he had some idea of what was ahead.
    we have shot ducks together for 25 years,a heck of a lot of wallabies got converted into good wallabies when we were out in hunter hills too. weve managed our share of deer and a couple of pigs too,always have a good day out on hill together but he is poked for a week afterwards.
    if completely honest in last 5 years Ive got a bit peeved ringing to see if he wants to head out for a hunt...too tired,bit sore,no gas,not this time etc..but I keep asking,hes a good mate.
    duckshooting this year,we had good time together and headed down to wainono for a paddle,during the day we said...not sure if it was him or me ,if we dont keep getting out and doing this,one day we will look back when our bodies are poked and have regrets...
    I rang him on friday,completely out of blue and asked if he wanted to come for a walk Sunday with workmate n I. yip im in he replied....stoked.
    then workmates wife decided jobs at home more important,so I rang BIL back and we decided Saturday was the go....
    now where to go to?????
    my old dog Meg has been patient at home getting scragged by young Poppy,so I really wanted to get Meg away for a hunt.... didnt feel like chasing reds in the bush,so had a look on DOC website at my options.....nimrod is out..no dogs.. hakataramea the same... couple of options popped up hour away,so a plan was hatched.
    picked BIL up at 05:30 and got to block just on daylight,started the trudge up hill...and we just kept plodding till we hit the top,sat had look around,I managed to tip 3 wobblies over who were silly enough to stop long enough for the trebly to do the rest....AJ missed a few,not by much mind...the first one had hair on head parted by 7.62x39mm projectile,I saw impact as was watching through scope. we got to top of that area,AJ said..well we come this far lets keep going and see whats over next hill,so up we went...and then to top of next one and next one... I have topo maps on my phone so could see block boundaries,we were roughly in middle of block and could see another hill ahead,so bugger it ,we climbed to top of that one too,then sat and got glassing,well I did,AJ had a wee break...where would deer be hiding he says... well somewhere like down there I say,in fact there is one there..LOL... I had spotted a fallow yearling WAAAAAAAYYYY down bottom of gully WAAAAY down below us,in direction away from home...
    bugger it we not here to shag spiders,lets go... so we did...7-800 meters downhill away from home.it was 10;30 by this stage so we knew we had a bit of time up our sleaves.... now those pesky wallabies that had been elusive all morning...the little huas were lining up poking tongues at us..I shit you not,at one point I had four sitting watching us no more than 100 yards away....huas.... any way we got down to gully bottom without spooking fallow. up on to wee spur opposite it and I got AJ to sit and watch in case it bolted with his trusty Bakial at ready while I attempted to get closer,he was all of 150 yards from it so I sure he could tip it over if needed,I was carrying a trusty bakail too,mines a trebly so I figgured if could get a wee bit closer to hundy yards I could seal deal without fuss even with fixed 4x scope..yearling fallow ARENT very big....got a good spot to sit and lined up deer ,got Meg in behind me and sent a 62grn sierra into crease. whop and staggery walk then it tipped over all of 4 steps later...
    Meg led me to it and AJ came down for butcher session... meat all divied up into out packs,the creek took care of rehydration and then the long slog up n out began...those pesky wallabies must have wore out their tongues as were nowhere to be seen on slog up hill..we made the top with 2 sit down breathers,then another at top and another most of the way home..got back to wagon at 14;30 tired but happy.
    long way for an unfit truck driver and not so healthy mate...but if we dont get out and do it while we still can...it will be too plurry late.
    get into em folks.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Name:  IMG_20220917_111424_9.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  3.03 MB

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good yarn. That will be great eating.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Bloody good yarn MD, good point about looking back and thinking ’dang, shoulda done (whatever) while we could.’
    Micky Duck and 223nut like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Nicely done Micky. Good yarn.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good on you MD. We all have those mates that we have to just keep pestering to get them on the hill. But when they do, they never regret it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nice one, I know how that can be as Marina my wife has it. When she says let's go for a walk I drop everything and we go because if we wait until tomorrow she could be bad again.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Really enjoyed reading that yarn Micky
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Good on ya Mate and good effort walking up over the top to get out. I often think the same thing lately. Got to just make a decision and get out there. We'll have to go take care of them pesky varmints in the next month or two.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Name:  IMG_20220917_111420_8.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  2.92 MB

slightly further back,without phone cover in way LOL....

Enjoyed reading that too Micky. I knw people with figbro and its not a nice thing to live with. good on your encouragement and support for a mate. I consider myself as an older bugger now despite not being too old compared to many others. I relate to feeling shagged for a few days after a hunt especially if Im lucky enough to be a beast of burden carrying something out. I am more careful now to plan my hunts with carrying out in mind than I ever use to. I also shoot a baikal 222 and Im interested in those 62gr bullets you mentioned.
    Pengy likes this.

Thats the story....

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    Enjoyed reading that too Micky. I knw people with figbro and its not a nice thing to live with. good on your encouragement and support for a mate. I consider myself as an older bugger now despite not being too old compared to many others. I relate to feeling shagged for a few days after a hunt especially if Im lucky enough to be a beast of burden carrying something out. I am more careful now to plan my hunts with carrying out in mind than I ever use to. I also shoot a baikal 222 and Im interested in those 62gr bullets you mentioned.
    seirra semi splitzer... so a little shorter and more rounded..... one of the few heavyish pills ok in a 1;14 confession time (dannyb will be throwing jandles in no time) I hadnt actually fired one out of the new wee rifle before today..thus why I got inside hundy yards,I could have used 50 grn loads but both of them are super explody varmit type projectiles so the 62grn got the nod....
    veitnamcam and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Great yarn!

Timely reminder to us all too