Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Beginner here! Any advice

northdude
    just thinking of the basic stuff I always take with me for a day hunt this is what I always take pack rifle and ammo knife a map and compass also got a garmin 64 gps small first aid kit survival blanket a small diamond sharpener toilet paper head light and spare batteries for it and gps a lighter and also a fire rod thing for backup 1 litre of water an osm and an apple as I don't need much food to keep me going this is for bush hunting if its more open ill also take binoculars and sometimes a range finder a plb would be a good idea as well but I don't have one of those yet

Quote Originally Posted by Beginnerhunter View Post
    Hi there,

Glad to be part of the hunting community im a newbie to the hunting scene. I’m currently based in auckland. Im going on holiday in jan for couple weeks so im seeking advice on any gear or methods and a good beginners place to start really. Thanks in advance.
    Lol loved the Latte and Tika poke Micky,

I am also fairly new here Beginnerhunter, so welcome, jump on the DOC website and start studying the DOC maps for spots you think look good, let us know in 5 years time when you get your first deer, id be surprised if anyone would be kind enough to provide information where the deer are, mostly as im sure most deer hunters have spent many years honing theyre skills and mapping theyre secret spots and personally i feel that can be the best part of becoming a deer stalker, you might go out 20 times and not get a deer starting out but dont let this demotivate you because you will gain more experience with each year, i think the best advice out of everything i can think of is buy the most quietest possible apparel you can find, but dont bother with cheap fleece, because even when you think your quiet your probably still not quiet enough, I own a Sauer in 6.5 Creedmoor, fantastic calibre and it will be all youll need starting out. good luck
    Been Upto likes this.

and to confuse the issue Im a bush hobbit who wears chaep fleece LOL.
    Ive been busted by the deer for the last 6 outings due to swirly wind....just had cold snap so will try again on Sunday and hope the deer have sniffles so dont twig Im about till its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and to confuse the issue Im a bush hobbit who wears chaep fleece LOL.
    Ive been busted by the deer for the last 6 outings due to swirly wind....just had cold snap so will try again on Sunday and hope the deer have sniffles so dont twig Im about till its too late.
    hehe, i admit i also own cheap fleece, but have recently changed to a more breathable material for hunting, otherwise when wearing a backpack i tend to sweat like paedo in a santa suit