Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Best peaks/slips/flats parks for glassing? (keen to try this out over bush stalking)

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Hunt View Post
    I

Was only worried about shooting a preggers with a soon to pop fawn. How does the meat on youngns up to yearlings taste?
    KFF works really well......get recipe for KFC off the internet and use the bits of fawn too small to really do anything else with,coat and deep fry....scoffemupdelishimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Sika dominate in Kaimanawa and Kawekas. Reds everywhere else. Good luck. It sounds like you are a bit rusty so don't expect a Deer first trip. Also it might pay to get some shooting practice in. A rangefinder is a must have for open tops hunting. Be sure to post a trip report.
    Thanks for that. Yep not expecting too much too soon, still a ways off fitness. So will prob do a number of practise hikes with the binos etc.

So given they the best high country areas, chances of shooting reds is pretty low? Is there a specific public park I should consider for chasing a Red specifically?

Tongariro NP or Ruahine are your best bet for open tops hunting for Reds. There are closer areas such as kaimais or Pureora but it's predominantly bush hunting.
    BSA270 and Back2Hunt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Tongariro NP or Ruahine are your best bet for open tops hunting for Reds. There are closer areas such as kaimais or Pureora but it's predominantly bush hunting.
    Primo. Thank you. Well thats about me for now. Just need to get some miles on my feet.

For sika, Clements Mill Road is as good a place as any. Plenty of scope along the road and the going is generally reasonable. Usually camp at the old mill site toilets and access to water.

All bush hunting round Clements. Great spot that it is though.

JLF
    New Zealand is a hunter's paradise
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Still, not that easy to shoot a deer on public land.

Read carefully and 3/4 of deer reported on this forum were hunted on private blocks or farmland. Specially those shot in open. Ou try or at long range.

If you’re playing the long game, keep an eye out for opportunities to make freinds with farmers or hunting block owners who might be agreeable. Theres some advice in threads here how to build relationships and make yourself a welcome guest.
    JLF likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post

Read carefully and 3/4 of deer reported on this forum were hunted on private blocks or farmland. Specially those shot in open. Ou try or at long range.

If you’re playing the long game, keep an eye out for opportunities to make freinds with farmers or hunting block owners who might be agreeable. Theres some advice in threads here how to build relationships and make yourself a welcome guest.
    Its really easy to shoot deer on doc land at the moment the last weekend I went out in mid November I shoot 3 deer & brought all the meat out & the weekend hunt in October was the 1st time I haven't shoot a deer in a weekend hunt in bot 4 years I'd go out bot 8 weekends a year that's all doc land hunting not the farm hunts they on top
    Micky Duck and Ned like this.

Ive shot 3 on public land last month and mate shot 4th while with me.....was amazing 3 trips with 20 deer seen all under 300 yards away....
    both areas are heavily hunted ,some of the most heavily hunted in whole district in fact...I just got lucky and was in right place at right time.....
    BSA270 and paremata like this.

Sounds like youve found some primo spots there.

I go more like 3 weekends per deer on average.
    piwakawaka likes this.

hard yards over a LOT of years,often come home empty handed,but nowhere near as often as used to do....there are more animals around than I ever remember....lack of chopper activity has played huge part in this.

JLF

Very grateful for the advice.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Sounds like youve found some primo spots there.

I go more like 3 weekends per deer on average.
    I'm the same as Micky duck the area I shoot the 3 in is well hunted & regular gets 1080 when I got to the car pack there on the Friday avo there where 5 other Utes in the car pack but it goes into a big area & only seen one of the others in there. One thing I found is everyone hunts the clearings the same way because it's easy Il go right round & come in the back way & this has got me a lot off deer as when you spook them they look the way they use to see danger coming from & it gives me that extra 1 second to take the shot. This area that I was in aslo has been getting a lot off nite hunting by the night vision guys witch worked in my favor this time as in the middle of the Saturday I went for a look along the track to see what doc had been doing in there stopped at the big look out that you can look down onto some nice grassy cleaning & there where 7deer out feeding & that was 1.30 in the avo on stinking hot day I think that they been that hammed at night that they just coming out any time they feel safe so I had a nice big stork to get down there and get one of them which I did but also spooked another 3 deer on the bush edges geting into those ones
    BSA270 likes this.