Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree342Likes

Thread: Best Trophy’s from previous roars

Name:  P4110269.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  544.9 KBName:  P4110265.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  659.9 KB
    I was privileged to be with my brother when he shot this nice stag during the 2019 roar in the Ruahines, and later the same day i managed to sneak in on this old beast .
    Name:  P4110261.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  582.3 KBName:  P4110259.JPG
Views: 681
Size:  574.9 KB
    He is probably the oldest stag i have ever shot by the look of him , only a 6 pointer but a trophy to me and a very memerable day.
    Tahr, JoshC, Shearer and 5 others like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 30late View Post
    Attachment 134516Attachment 134517
    I was privileged to be with my brother when he shot this nice stag during the 2019 roar in the Ruahines, and later the same day i managed to sneak in on this old beast .
    Attachment 134524Attachment 134525
    He is probably the oldest stag i have ever shot by the look of him , only a 6 pointer but a trophy to me and a very memerable day.
    That split trey time is cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that stag. Big old and public land

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Attachment 134478

Attachment 134489

2018's effort. 33 inches long x 41 inches wide off public land in Southland. I've hunted in the area since I was a young teenager and this animal is the best one I'd ever seen in there. I reckon he was 8-9 years old.

This particular day my Dad and I had been following a stag around for three or four hours as he would roar and push his hinds away. We kept at it and eventually ended up on the edge of a little swampy clearing. We could see a hind running back and forward as something harassed her. She was beside herself and would hardly stand still at all. Dad said the stag was a rubbish one and we were just about to move away when I saw this guy chasing the hind around. As I raised the rifle Dad hissed at me not to shoot. As it stepped into a gap in the beech I shot him in the lungs.

Dad was pleasantly surprised when we got up there as he had been watching a tiny little 6 pter. The big guy must have sent him packing. The best part was that the little clearing was our camp clearing and after an almighty carry of 100 metres we were back at camp!
    Love that stag. Big, old and public land

Name:  12 pointer.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  6.00 MB

Here's one for you. A few years back during the roar (about five) I had been crook with the flu. Bad timing. Really bad timing. Really! I finally came right and got to a point where I could undertake a very gentle stroll. Nothing more. Where I was going to hunt had seen a bunch of people through, so I had a wee think. I decided to hunt somewhere where everyone might have been going past in their efforts to get beyond the crowds. This also fitted with me not being up to much. I parked the ute and walked five minutes in to the bush in a random place where no self respecting hunter would go. I let out a roar and sat down shattered. Hold on, that was a reply down in the gully. Crikey! I moved over to the edge to see a nice 8 point red steaming up the face below me. He offered a quick shot that I opted not to take. Not old enough. He cut my wind and buggared off. I thought that might be my chance for the morning before I ran out of steam. Onwards. Walked another 400m and let out another roar. Crikey another reply way down in a gully. I couldn't believe it. I heard nothing more and actually had to have a think about whether I had the puff to go down and come back up. Then he roared again. Yes I did I stalked down and got to an open bush area and suddenly saw a pair of hinds. I let out a moan. The stag came in to view behind them. 80m away. I let out another roar and ran my barrel up the side of a tree. What happened next I have never experienced before or since. The stag let out a hell of a bellow and came at a dead run straight across the gully bottom and up to where I was. I was trying to get a shot but there was always a tree in the way as he came on. I stepped behind a tree as he came up the bank and around another tree only two to three metres from me. He wasn't stopping. I shot him point blank from the hip with my 270 and he slammed in to the tree I was sheltering behind. Unbelievable. I have done a lot of pig hunting and been charged plenty of times. But never by a stag like this. It was clear he thought I was a challenger and was really worked up. Awesome action. It took two trips to get everything back up and I was all in when I got it all back to the ute. Day hunts can sometimes reap rewards. Not my biggest stag but a really nice head and even. Also special as it is from my local area. Happy times.
    JoshC, Shearer, Mooseman and 11 others like this.

By far my biggest stag, shot back home in Austria. About 40 inch, 7 or 8 years old.

He lived in a pretty remote area that is hard to get to. I had already seen him a few times during the days before but either too far or too fast.
    Spotted him again at dawn but only saw the antlers for hours while he was bedded in a patch of small pines. At 4 pm he finally got up.

Beast

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Very nice

Nice one!
    Good to see coming out of Austria!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Some awesome stags. Love those couple above from the Ruahines!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Here's a few Sambar Stags form last several years. First is from 2016, then 2018 and 2019. DS are 197 , 170 , 212.

Attachment 134320 Attachment 134321 Attachment 134322
    Bloody hell they are nice Sambar , , been reading Phil Chalmers book on Sambar and Rusa while on Lockdown , very well researched book
    Mooseman likes this.

Not as flash as some others on here but was a great hunt from 2016 Roar
    Name:  Big Red.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  3.83 MB
    JoshC, Shearer, Mooseman and 5 others like this.

Thanks for putting another one up @Lucky what’s the rifle?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

A couple of Japs and a couple of Reds.
    Name:  deer.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  490.5 KB
    Name:  deer2.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  363.5 KB
    Name:  deer3.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  207.5 KB
    Name:  deer4.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  388.3 KB
    Name:  deer5.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  418.7 KB
    Tahr, chainsaw, Mooseman and 4 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Very nice stags @Shearer Well done.
    Shearer likes this.