Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 15 Post By woods223
  • 3 Post By LarryB

Thread: Better Hunting by Game Animal Council

Better Hunting by Game Animal Council

Been using firearms and hunting for 50 years near enough. Decided to have a look at this site after reading other slightly de-railed thread on here.
    Started off doing the Hunting and Firearms Essentials certificates, passed relatively easy. Probably shouldn't do it after a few drinks but. Did the other modules out of curiosity, finished them last night.
    Just want to say that there is a shit load of information compiled on this site. A goldmine of info for anyone starting out and also for anyone wanting to refresh their memory.
    I didn't completely agree with everything stated in various modules but thats life.Also get the feeling that Tim Gales opinions show through in places but thats ok.
    Couple of things that would make it better is if some of the maps weren't cluttered with banners blocking details and that some of the photos could be higher definition.
    Good job done by @LarryB and others who put this together, congratulations.
    Anything that promotes the sport and encourages newcomers who want to learn basic skills knowledge has to be good for hunting in general.
    Tahr, tetawa, Tentman and 12 others like this.

Thanks heaps @woods223 I have had a blast building something I would have appreciated when I was learning and if it helps others, I can't have much more satisfying work than that! I do reiterate for new hunters that practical training like HUNTS is still 100% worth it even if you think you know it all by going through Better Hunting.

Certainly in the education area I'm keen to get more community involvement in the Better Hunting coverage and information, keep improving things. E.g. the animal sign gallery is something I hope the odd hunter feels like contributing to - if we all work together we can make a pretty impressive national knowledge base resource there of game sign images that'd help all of us improve our identifications.

I see the education role with the GAC as a hunter resource really. We've got a lot of future work we think will be useful and interesting to hunters and I'm working on that stuff, but if hunters and hunting tell me what matters and it's not the same, that's got a good chance it would be prioritised. I suppose I have to be 'a GAC education guy' here and not just an anonymous new hunter now So I'd encourage any folks here with ideas on hunter education etc. to get in touch, get involved. I feel GAC education is here FOR hunters, not AT hunters if you know what I mean.