Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Hill help

Big Hill help

So I’ve just won a ballot to Big Hill Station and after trying a bit of research was wondering if you fine folk might be able to point me in the right direction with a few questions. I will be taking the family and wanted to know what the chance of having Ruahine hut to ourselves would be? And also, is it possible to get permission to stay at No Mans hut? Thanks for your time guys, any other tips or pointers would be greatfully received too.

I'm sure others will be along soon to clarify things, reality is no one can predict what experience you will have at Ruahine Hut; as there will be some who get the ballot and venture further afield and those who want to use the permit to hunt out of Ruahine (...tow a trailer load of quad bikes up and hunt out of....or venture down to Shutes, hunt out of Dianne's etc...), others will use the permit to head out to harder to get to regions...

As for No-Mans Hut, Whites Hut, Aranga Hut or Mistake Biv - last time I was in there, the cost of hunting put us off - YMMV, best to contact peter.steedman@xtra.co.nz - you can pass through as I understand it to get to Rockslide Biv, Ikawtea Forks, the main range or further afield; again - others may chime in....

Thanks Nickoli

What dates did you get? I got 11th feb and at this dtage will just be in ruahine hut but if i can get no mans ill try be out there

I got the end of June. Don’t even know if it will be accessible at that time with snow and rainfall. Can only try though ay.
    Is it possible to get a vehicle to the white hut or is it quads only?