Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bloody Big Pig

You can get some huge pigs in the north island.

When I was a little lad in the 1960s my old man took one boar the local south Waikato district had been after for years. It was called the 'Blackberry Gulley' boar and was known to have killed 14 dogs. Was simply too big and powerful and would break the bail whenever he wanted - and we had bred exceptional bailers/holders. They finally got him bailed up in a deep wallow hole and he got a jungle carbine 303 through the scone. Men went back into the bush next day with the tractor and on the scales he went 360lbs - a huge brindle coloured boar with tusks just over 3" undrawn. It was quite an event - even a write up in the local paper. We still have the mounted head.

The boar in this article looks of similar size. I remember also a boar taken in the Coromandel bush in the 80s which weighed in at 600lbs - was also in the newspapers. The big sizes come from cross-breeding with domestic pigs which have gone bush over the last 100 years or so.
    Dundee likes this.

Boars or Barrows ?

Both boars.

Funny thing is we were dead lucky to get the big Waikato boar. His turf was about a square mile of dense hilly central north island bush - chock full of blackberries and supplejack. Dogs got onto him many times over 5 years but we could never get to him. They'd bail him maybe a ridge or two away but by the time you slashed your way through half a mile of dense undergrowth he was long gone, and by the end of the day the dogs were buggered and gave up. Quite wisely too.

But on this day the old man took a pup with him - maybe 18 months old, and kept him on a rope till mid afternoon while the other dogs bailed and chased the pig. Old man didn't want the pup killed but eventually let him go and he joined in. And at the point where the older dogs were buggered and would normally head for home, the pup didn't. When the boar broke again and again it was his bark they heard as the pup brought him to bail again - whereupon the other dogs all caught up.

Eventually it was the boar who was buggered and dropped into the deep wallow hole - and for the first time the old man got to him. Blam.

Funny thing is...that was the only good thing that pup ever did. Not long after that he started worrying sheep and went straight to pigdog heaven.

Life's like that sometimes.

One minute you're the top rooster in the barnyard -next thing you're just a feather duster.

True story.
    sneeze, tui_man2, Dundee and 2 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    All pigs are weighed guts out but you can leave the Pizzel and nuts in for contest and club scales. Add roughly a third the weight of the offal for the tru live weight.

AB Precision
    Has to be photoshopped? Looks way bigger than that. Looks 300plus easy as.

Have got more than a dozen 250 plus an they look small compared to that

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Its bollocks...look at the depth of the pic... Oh, and the tailgate and suspension are not compromised in anyway
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

yeah its a fraud even the tyres hav'nt flattened.....

Don't underestimate how big a pig can get when fed milk straight from the vat The 4'' of fat on it is a bit of a give away.

kj

AB Precision
    It is still a big hog, think its more to do with the camera angle an settings?

The back of the turck an pig are huge an the back of the cab is tiny.

Think at 267 lb its not really that big ,like Tui_man said he's caught a dozen around the 250 lb.In this area 240 -250lb isn't unusual pretty common but I know of 2 boars from here that went on the hook at 360 lb .Seems some places attract those big boys ,weather a geography thing or due to available food.These big fellas get smart / cunning as the get older but sooner or later some-one like Mud-gripz dad out thinks them.Always good to hear bout a big boar being caught ,especially if they've killed & ripped up more than their share of dogs.
    Dundee likes this.

mike Wilson and jimmy got this for gladdy comp caught at orui station riversdale

My pop shot a pig way back in the 40s? ish that weighed in at 425 pounds. I didn't believe dad when he told me until pop showed me a photo of it strung up with the weight on a black board next to it. They think it was a cross pig, one that escaped a few years back or whatever. He used a friends horse to drag it out the next day. I don't know where he got it, but he lived up the Coromandel for as long as I know.
    bsa89 likes this.

Seen this photo before, long time ago. Average man 80kg like in photo. There is no way that pig is only 121kg, look at it!
    THIS IS MY RIFLE, WITHOUT MY RIFLE I AM NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
    Seen this photo before, long time ago. Average man 80kg like in photo. There is no way that pig is only 121kg, look at it!
    Average man has his heart lungs liver guts inside him instead of in the paddock

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Neckshot likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    rofl