Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Boots are made for walking..

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    The lack of use, poor storage is a cop out from the manufacturer and supplier.
    For joe average weekend hunter who uses their boots usually weekends only, store boots in the garage and might go three or four weekends without going hunting, PU will shit itself. And the manufacturer will claim neglect.
    Dry them artificially and you will have cooked them according to the manufacturer. And again no warranty.
    I have boots with PU soles, but I would never pay what some brands ask. Treat them like terminal tackle.
    It is true what I wrote above - trust me I have seen many failures
    But agree - its a shit of a system (the PU) but you try and sell an old fashioned Stitched on sole these days
    I just put 3 or 4 pair on Trade Me recently for $1 reserve and got about 30-50$ each - one pair were New Swedish made - worth 500$

[QUOTE=Mitchael;1198420]

"Goretex is cool, and its whole thing is waterproof breathability"

Gore-Tex is good for stopping water seeping in - BUT- it also stops water going the opposite way too
    So they are a bugger to dry if you get them wet inside (creek X or heavy rain down the calves etc)
    Those Crispi are good boots
    MAC likes this.

@MAC Those La Sportiva boots @Sarvo had would suit what you are after down to the ground ,l use mine as summer boots & around the farm & wear them often when l am doing my Hunt fit program walking 10klm a week around the farm .

In reality hunting boots for NZ & especially if you are going to remote areas hunting should be at the top of anyone's list of the old "Buy Once Cry Once" essential gear ,while guiding /scrambling in to remote areas over the years l have personally been involved 3 helicopter rescues involving everything from a big toe nearly severed on a river crossing (never crossed a river in bare feet again, use dive boots for crossings & camp boots),blown knee from slipping with shit boots while carrying out & came across a bloke with his ankle at right ankles after foot slipped & rock acted as snapping lever ,guy was in that much pain he was going unconscious was not a good day just trying to help him let alone to be the guy.

The costs ,pain & ruined long planned trips for all involved make those $800 pair of boots look pretty cheap 7 it can happen to anyone ,anywhere .

For the last few years l have been using Crispi Boots & they have been great ,like them that much & appreciate the comfort ,grip & lack if blisters/rubbing so much l now have 3 pairs & the missus has a pair as well,IMO they are a step up from Lowa & as a lot of us have experienced far more robust for kiwi conditions as well.

I have just got back from a total of 35 actual days of hunting over the last couple of months hunting everything from pigs in low and scrub to Tahr in the Alps & with our weird weather hunted through drought to flood & covered a lot of hard miles ,the Crispi's made it a lot easier & l suffered no foot soreness at all & l am nearly 60.

Name:  Red BOOTS SMALL.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  81.5 KB

My current favorites are these the Crispi - VALDRES GTX model

Name:  RED Crispi - VALDRES GTX BOOTS 2 SMALL.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  85.1 KB

Anyone looking at new "Buy Once Cry Once" boots l recommend them ,survived years of hard use now & just a bit of advice l always store /dry my boots long term upside down with the tongue pulled out so the inner gets airflow & any moisture wicks out .

If anyone does decide to go for them ,take your time & keep a eye out for specials ,l only buy them when they are on special & have saved up to $150 on buying pairs that were marked down due to in store scuffs & marking.
    MAC likes this.