Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 17 Post By cally woo
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Yesmate

Thread: Bowhunters first roar - For anyone interested, because my partner definitely isnt

cally woo

Bowhunters first roar - For anyone interested, because my partner definitely isnt

G'day.

I'm 1.5 years into bowhunting and hunting itself and I've been getting a lot of goat meat lately on public (Live in New Plymouth).

Decided a long time ago that I wanted some deer meat in the freezer and have hunted for deer specifically about 4 or 5 times. Seen a lot of sign, seen 0 deer before this trip.

I felt like this trip was the first time I actually felt confident with my strategy. I have read a lot on here, messaged a lot of helpful people and watched a lot of videos. Anyway... onto the hunt.

Left for Mt Ruapehu on a Tuesday. Stayed the night in Ohakune and then walked into a hut the next day. On the walk I saw decent deer prints going across the track. Dropped my gear, unpacked in the hut and got some firewood. Had a lie down and messed around until 4. Walked half an hour past the hut to a decent glassing position, more to see the sunset and begin my recon. Within 15 minutes I saw a family of deer move across my vision. First the hind, then 2 fawns, then the stag. Small stag, all at about 100 meters. I planned 5 days at the hut and I was pretty stoked to even see the deer and enjoy them just doing deer stuff. Something about killing one and then having to leave early to go home to save the meat put me off putting a stalk in. Big Regret. No Roars yet.

That Night I heard like 5 different roaring positions - Up, down, left right. Decided to go for a walk the next morning in the vicinity of the deer sighting last night and towards a roaring position heard that night and in the morning. Looked for quite a while, saw boat loads of sign but no deer and the roaring stopped and I was tired so went back to the hut. Glassed that night, saw nothing.

2 hunters arrived at the hut that night, and they had a lot of advice, tips and spots that were all new to me. Very appreciative of experts who are willing to help as I am not lucky enough to have a father or anything that taught me to hunt, I have to be all self taught. Anyways.... that night we all decided on the areas we were going to and all confirmed on the map. Very smart and safe and responsible. Beautiful.

That next morning, I walked up to a very high and defensive stag, was roaring and getting responses but no movement from him, and the only way up to him was to go around a massive cliff which would have for sure cut my wind. Sat down for 15 minutes leaning on the side of a small 3 meter bank with a small shrubby tree on top of it, had a drink of water, and a snack and was letting out some doe calls out of boredom, shut my eyes for a couple of minutes. I stood up finally and as soon as I stood, I heard a very loud bark from directly behind the tree on top of the bank I was leaning up against. (5m max) Scared the shit out of me, hardly could comprehend what happened. I stepped out from behind the bank eventually ha, and saw a stag looking back at me from 51 meters away. (ranged). Called at him a couple of times and then he retreated into the scrub. If you're wondering, I only take shots with my bow at sub 40 meters on live animals, personal decision for humane kills only, and truth be told, I was probably only effective to 25 with the amount of confusion and adrenaline running through me. I hate to think about how long that stag was behind that bush checking me out.

Next morning I was roaring up the same stag from the opposite side of the ridge and was getting more responses but no movement. I was in the middle of a clearing roaring up the short sharp ridge and after about 10 minutes of roaring I look at the bank behind me and what do you know, a small stag at about 120 meters. Looked at me for a good while as I was in the open with my metaphorical pants down and he just pranced off with not a care in the world.

That was my notable experience during the roar. A lot of regrets obviously as you may assume from these 3 encounters. Jeeze I guess i'm getting closer and closer. Felt fine leaving them living when I was on the mountain, and I loved just seeing them, but now that I'm home I have been kicking myself a fair amount. I also want to give up the bow and get a gun (haha) but not really.

One of the hunters at the hut said Fallow deer are easier. If anyone has any tips on Whanganui blocks and some sympathy for my experience (and you read this massive essay) then feel free to help me with a couple tips and spots.

Back to goats until I have time for a decent trip again goat curry aint bad if your/my English heritage family didn't engrain their shit cooking techniques and you're not afraid to handle a spice rack

Thanks for letting me waste your time.

C.
    madjon_, Brian, HUNTY and 14 others like this.

Well done. I picked the bow back up in 2020, shot a good boar in Dec then missed a deer in March 2021, have got close to a few animals since but haven’t fired an arrow. Not many goats in my local areas. It is a real challenge getting within bow range and everything lining up.
    cally woo likes this.

cally woo
    Good to see someone else feeling the pain ha

I first did bowhunting back in 1992 and shot a deer on my first trip, must have used up all my luck. Never got a shot at another deer over the next few years so put the bow away and picked up the rifle. Been good getting back into it. Technology has made it a lot easier. Eastmans Elevated podcast with Brian Barney is a good listen. Lots of good advice and motivation.
    cally woo likes this.

you'll be learning so much from these kinds of hunts, stuff you don't even realise until things start clicking and you'll look back chuckling at the things you used to do.
    I would get a rifle and shoot a few deer first,it might just take that edge off getting that first deer and relax you more for your bow hunting.And one other thing as you've already experienced and its a massive learn that sometimes goes unlearnt for a while-when your starting out almost all encounters are when you least expect them and your not ready for the kill shot.Thats what I found and now that I know some areas well and are more dialled in I pretty much never spook animals without being ready, the other day I was thinking this is almost becoming easy.almost.
    cally woo likes this.