Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kawekakid
  • 1 Post By Chur Bay
  • 1 Post By camenzie
  • 1 Post By Sika stag

Thread: Boyd lodge, Kaimanawas

Boyd lodge, Kaimanawas

So, me and a couple of mates are flying into the boyd, early December.
    Hopefully catch the spring flush.
    Anyone got any useful info about the area.
    We normally hunt off Clements Rd, but have decided to look at some new areas.
    Using Tapatalk

Up behind the hut keep an eye around the river early morning late evening
    lau lau likes this.

I shot a small stag up the purungetungetu stream about 20 years ago. downstream on the true left. Was nice and open. You never know. Might be worth a look.
    lau lau likes this.

Most of the open stuff gets pretty hammered and deer tend not to come out especially at tussock. If you’re looking at a map and saying let’s go sit here and watch the bush edge, many others have had the same idea and already done it. We find well used shooting platforms everywhere with a viewpoint. Spring might be a bit tempting for the deers though and you might get some silly ones coming out. Had a mate with an imager and between Boyd and tussock over a few days we saw 2 deer out in the open but spooked a lot in the bush. they’re there, they just know not to come out.
    lau lau likes this.

Are you a long range shooter of a bush hunter?

I have hunted the bush there a bit and been quite successful years past. Also found the odd stag out in the tussock but that was more early March pre-roar feeding... I think you will do better in the bush in December with maybe catching the odd one out on the edges early or late evening.
    For open hunting I would be trying South of the hut keeping to the true right - there is a few guts that head back up into the bush with come out on the easterly faces towards TeMatia Stream, especially early mornings.
    For Bush hunting I would head back on the track to Oamaru Hut and once in the bush (Waitawhero saddle)hunt the first ridge south towards Purungetungetu stream or heads or north depending on wind - (I had good success going south and north)
    lau lau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika stag View Post
    Are you a long range shooter of a bush hunter?

I have hunted the bush there a bit and been quite successful years past. Also found the odd stag out in the tussock but that was more early March pre-roar feeding... I think you will do better in the bush in December with maybe catching the odd one out on the edges early or late evening.
    For open hunting I would be trying South of the hut keeping to the true right - there is a few guts that head back up into the bush with come out on the easterly faces towards TeMatia Stream, especially early mornings.
    For Bush hunting I would head back on the track to Oamaru Hut and once in the bush (Waitawhero saddle)hunt the first ridge south towards Purungetungetu stream or heads or north depending on wind - (I had good success going south and north)
    I'm more of a open country hunter as opposed to a bush hunter, so very confident at longer range shots.
    Cheers for the info, the guys that are coming in with me are more bush hunters.
    Using Tapatalk