Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By Vishh
  • 3 Post By Snoppernator
  • 2 Post By Sh00ter
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Philipo
  • 2 Post By kiwijames
  • 2 Post By Tahr

Thread: Browning Maral SF Nordic 308 review

Browning Maral SF Nordic 308 review

STATS
    Straight Pull w/return forward spring
    Calibre 308
    Twist 1:12
    Barrel 17.5: (22" original)
    Suppressor DPT
    Scope Vortex 1-6 BDC illum

Pros

Aircraft Travel fits in a 100cm Shotgun hard case which fits inside my travel bag. (one checked luggage >23kg) Bolt cannot be removed so no need for 2nd checked in bag for the Bolt. I just use a trigger lock and a cable lock through the receiver then lock the hardcase.
    I've traveled with the rifle in my personal bag then a dog (gsp) in a crate as 2nd checked bag.

Vines no issues with the bolt being pulled open like with Bolt guns in the thick stuff. The spring pulls/holds the bolt closed.
    Short enough to sit below the top of your head when carrying on your back even with Suppressor fitted.

Accuracy??? it's as accurate as the scope. the vortex has a thick cross hair so past 300 so yo have to find the animal In the clear glass the lay the upsidedown Xmas tree over the animal.
    Subjectivlely 1moa @100m which is what I have shot with this this scope and rifle... could be better with a better optic.
    Great for the Bush and clearings no more than 300m away.

Safety Catch is bold and easy to use. It's plain obvious when the safety is on/off

Quiet enough for the dog

Cons

May seem heavy if you're used to a Tikka however it is well balanced with the sup.
    Expensive

Let me know your thoughts especially if you're considering one. I wanted one rifle to rule them all for most Bush and farm blocks where multiple deer/pigs may be present. Compact and easy to travel with (hence short barrel with non removable bolt) that I can shoot away with short notice and bowl a couple for the freezer.

This purchase originally started when I saw the Bergara 16.5inch single shot in 308... obviously things spiraled.

Questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Philipo, KiwiinSeattle and RV1 like this.

Mate has one in 308. Accuracy very disappointing. Have read reviews that also state this. Mate's one has been back to vendor. To give them their dues they didn't just try to fob him off and they range tested it with a lot of different ammo and sent it back to him with one type of ammo recommended. It's no target rifle that's for sure but given it's best use, European driven game, it's a great rifle none the less.

Mate has since bought a straight pull Beretta and is very happy. Accuracy is excellent.

Beretta differs to the Browning in that the bolt doesn't spring closed from the open position.

Nice rifle. So cool seeing someone think outside the square behind the old Tikka bolt action. Wanting to protect my sako bolt action, for bush hunting, I too started with the Begara single shot, but it quickly spiralled when I actually held "or tried to" one in store. Just way too heavy. Went the Browning BLR lightweight takedown in lever action (has 5 magazine, spitzer). Super fun these smaller rifles.
    ANTSMAN, Micky Duck and Got-ya like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Interesting I've not noticed any accuracy issues though as stated I've only shot it out to 200m.

I also considered the BLR cut down but by then I had already made up my mind

I am considering one of these for high volume shooting(goats).I like the beretta and its ability to change cal, but it only has a 5rnd mag.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDog264 View Post
    I am considering one of these for high volume shooting(goats).I like the beretta and its ability to change cal, but it only has a 5rnd mag.
    Hit me up if you want a crack with the Utas. It's been growing on me, might be a bit Army barmy for some though.
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDog264 View Post
    Get a Ruger American or whatever they are called now. I sold mine to shooter, then brought it back when he got that utas. 10 round p mag is the answer.
    Sh00ter likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    I've had three Browning 308's, a modern model BAR ( what a great gun ) BLR & my wooden Maral, all were awesome & shot the same load great

I did for NZGH a few years back, pic's were a bit naff but it was a "great down to earth & honest" magazine, real pity that all the anti shit killed what was the best thing on the shelves
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    It's about as ugly as the chick you pulled at 3am and never told your mates about.
    BRADS and Penguin like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I have two of these - One of the select Timber models and one of the Nordic models.

I like them a lot.

The 10rd Shark Finn Mag is a bit silly however.

Banned
    Your rifle setup displays a thoughtful blend of compactness, safety, and versatility, catering to diverse hunting environments with ease. Its straight-pull action and suppressor compatibility enhance handling and stealth in thick brush, while its capability for both bush and clearings within 300m ensures adaptability for various game. While its 1 MOA accuracy is commendable, optimizing the Vortex scope with a thinner reticle for precise holdovers beyond 300m could unlock its full potential, considering options like FFP scopes with MOA or MIL reticles for versatile dialing at different ranges. However, mindful of carrying comfort on longer treks, balancing weight considerations is essential, particularly with the suppressor attachment.

Considering the potential for further enhancement, upgrading the scope to match your rifle's capabilities could be the logical next step. Optics such as the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24 FFP or Strike Eagle 5-25x50 FFP offer compelling features within your budget, enhancing long-range performance and accuracy. Additionally, while your current setup meets specific needs admirably, future considerations might include exploring alternatives like the Ruger American Ranch in 308, offering a similar compact profile with a detachable magazine for added convenience and versatility in hunting scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by marquesgriffin View Post
    Your rifle setup displays a thoughtful blend of compactness, safety, and versatility, catering to diverse hunting environments with ease. Its straight-pull action and suppressor compatibility enhance handling and stealth in thick brush, while its capability for both bush and clearings within 300m ensures adaptability for various game. While its 1 MOA accuracy is commendable, optimizing the Vortex scope with a thinner reticle for precise holdovers beyond 300m could unlock its full potential, considering options like FFP scopes with MOA or MIL reticles for versatile dialing at different ranges. However, mindful of carrying comfort on longer treks, balancing weight considerations is essential, particularly with the suppressor attachment.

Considering the potential for further enhancement, upgrading the scope to match your rifle's capabilities could be the logical next step. Optics such as the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24 FFP or Strike Eagle 5-25x50 FFP offer compelling features within your budget, enhancing long-range performance and accuracy. Additionally, while your current setup meets specific needs admirably, future considerations might include exploring alternatives like the Ruger American Ranch in 308, offering a similar compact profile with a detachable magazine for added convenience and versatility in hunting scenarios.
    ChatGPT?
    Lauries Hut and Penguin like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

My thoughts too.
    No person would write like that and it does have a certain verbose idea-recycling style. Minor nonsensical point, suggesting a 1-6x and 5-25x in the same breath.
    However there could be a core of human input there.
    It needs a “concise mode” so people dont get bored / annoyed reading it.

Look at biography suggest ESOL. Now “bannd”.