Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Bush Stalking Advice

Another thing I have had happen quite a bit is if you can smell deer especially through winter as the seem to smell more stop and scan heaps they will be very close. Have had quite a few encounters like this recently
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by louiannz View Post
    Hey all

I am relatively new to hunting and want some advice.

Went for a wander the other day in an area well-known for deer and the sign I saw proved it.

A couple of questions:

1. While wandering slowly and quietly along the track I heard a deer run away in front of me about 20m away I think. I stopped and listened. It moved again and was running down into a gully off the side of the track and barked at me. Bush was quite thick so couldn't see much. Should you try and follow?? Find a better spot to see more or give up as the deer spooked and ran away? I think I gave up to early and wandered on.

2. On the same walk found an awesome area of open beech with heaps of fresh sign. Do you sit in one spot and watch the area or wander very slowly through the area hoping to bump into something?

Keen to learn - thanks.
    I used to give those deer that ran of and barked a go by taking of up ridge quickly - give it about 500-600 yards and sit tight in an area with good view back down gully - sometimes would get lucky - they just not spooked that much and about 10 mins later here's the old girl coming up quietly looking back to see if she can pick up what spooked her - does not work all the time but when it does most satisfying

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I used to give those deer that ran of and barked a go by taking of up ridge quickly - give it about 500-600 yards and sit tight in an area with good view back down gully - sometimes would get lucky - they just not spooked that much and about 10 mins later here's the old girl coming up quietly looking back to see if she can pick up what spooked her - does not work all the time but when it does most satisfying
    That sounds like a useful ploy, thanks.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle