Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Bush stalking - not my best skill

I forgot to mention...bush hunting magic time is 10am - 12pm

yeah well lets just say that it didnt go very well... hahaha

So was up at my spot at about 5.10am set up in a nice pozzie. Sat with the wind coming face on. Waited and waited. Heard quite abit of movement but nothing came forth for me to shoot....

Decided about 7.30 after not hearing anything more for quite sometime Id move off and see if i can find any fresh sign. Found quite abit but while looking around that area for 30 minutes or so the wind started being a pain in my arse, Lets say that the met service are fukin useless. It started to swirl, nothing consistent. Figured from everyone telling me I need to watch the wind i would be wasting my time hanging around here.

Decided that id head up high and get a good view of some clearings I saw on google earth. Looked to be a good area, some good sized clearings and where several rivers met.

Slowly moved into the area with a nice consistent northerly in my face. Now when i say slow i mean real slow, Overall for the trip my average speed was 2.5kmph. when coming in there was not alot of sign so picked up some pace but as soon as i saw prints/poo i slowed right down, Took 5 steps then stopped, looked listened etc, continued with that for ages. Saw nothing.....

Sat up for awhile and waited, watched with the bino's.

Decided after 35 minutes or so id follow the river for abit. Moved through the bush as quiet as I could. Got a wee bit disorentated as i was in a new area. Thought id move back uphill to the old track and continue along and down into the next valley..

Coming along the track i found some very very super fresh poo... at this point the post about rubbing it all over myself popped into my head and i had to stop and have abit of a laugh. started my newly developed 5 step stop and listen routine. Started to hear some movement in the bush somewhere. Continued slowly along and started heading into the bush.

Think the blood pressure statred to rise as i could still hear the movement. think this is where i got somewhat sidetracked and forgot about the wind!!!!!!!!!!!

The wind was actually coming across me at this point (right to left). As i kept moving further towards the noise I actually saw movement - maybe 40/50 meters away slightly higher than i was. small patch of brown moving towards the left. Stopped and waited, Kept checking the area where i saw the movement. Couldnt see anything else so i decided to move off and head toward where i saw the last movement.

Now this part screams RETARD. on the track the wind was in my face, heard the movement turned towards it wind was across me right to left, Saw the movement to my left and headed towards it wind is now coming from behind me... Seriously less than a minute from moving off I heard and saw hurried movement as the fucker had caught a wiff of my old spice and bolted.

This part i wasnt going to post but I still think its funny... for some reason at that exact moment i realised i had fucked up i started to chase after it... why the hell i did it i dont know. what was i going to do chase it down?? that only lasted 20 meters or so before my brain told me to stop being a dork. I did keep checking the area for another hour or so but by then i figured it was long gone

So 7 or so hours in the bush, 13.5km return trip, no venison to show for my efforts, the rian closing in and a river on the rise i conceeded defeat and this spot of mine is now 3-0 up on me.

Might give it afew weeks before I try it again... feeling a wee bit depressed hahahaha.
    veitnamcam, pops, Dougie and 2 others like this.

Re: Bush stalking - not my best skill

Awsome bro. You were that much closer and you will never make that mistake again. Sounds like youll be bringin home venison very soon keep at it. If its raining wait till its done and get straight back in there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Tikka that sounds to me as though you nearly had success. There but for a shift of wind you may have had yourself a deer. One thing that I have to say is that I hope like hell you are joking about the Old Spice. If you are not then listen carefully "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING MAN? STOP WEARING SHIT LIKE THAT HUNTING".
    pops and tikka 7/08 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Tikka that sounds to me as though you nearly had success. There but for a shift of wind you may have had yourself a deer. One thing that I have to say is that I hope like hell you are joking about the Old Spice. If you are not then listen carefully "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING MAN? STOP WEARING SHIT LIKE THAT HUNTING".
    hahahaha I am of the generation that was blessed not to have used Old spice. I have heard about it plenty... but i have not yet had the pleasure of smelling it

I have heard that if you want to know how fresh the poo are then put some on the end of your dried tongue

Good on you tikka will not be long for a deer.

Great stuff, so close!

Now slow down a bit more!!! Keep the wind in your face and you will soon be eating venison!

Well done!!! I would take that as a sucess mate, good shit. Go back and you'll be filling the freezer before you know it. You had my heart going just reading the thread! Fantastic
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Wicked story tikka 7/08!

Keep it up an all of a sudden things will begin to click . 3-0 nil isnt bad going, i would have spent the best part of 20 days hunting before i tipped over my first on DOC land.
    Sounds like you got pretty excited at points during your hunt and fair enough too, just remember a patch of brown or movement in a bush is human until proven otherwise.

Nice. Sounds llike your learning a heap especially about how wind doesn't go in a straight line when the grounds not flat. Predicti.ng where the swirls etc will be is a big part of it. Wish other was as simple as it blowing in.one direction everywhere. The .lr thing would be easier then too

R93
    Actually, sprinting after a spooked animal works a treat sometimes.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Actually, sprinting after a spooked animal works a treat sometimes.
    I did that when I went on my first hunt up the lake, I was with a .303 and dad was fishing and I had never been bush hunting but walked in 100m in 2 yearlings got up and ran off so I ran after them 50-100m or so I stopped listening and looked up a hind was looking at me I aimed up but didnt shoot it as dad said leave hinds, went back and told him he said he meant only on farms in doc blocks shoot them! oh well thats what happened anyway.
    phillipgr likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Sounds as though you came close, keep at it and it will happen. It took me about a year of hunting before I finally shot my first deer, I had so many encounters like yours, and also stuffing up heaps of easy chances but you always learn things every hunt. Just get out there as much as you can, one day you'll trip over a deer that isn't as smart as the rest.