Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree41Likes
  • 36 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By Stag
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY

Thread: A Bushranger on the tops.

A Bushranger on the tops.

Best mate and I. His Stepson (25), My Son in Law (30).
    The lads are good mates and our families have all have been camping, tramping and 4wding together for years. I have known Mates son since he was 4yrs old.
    I gained my Son in law around 7 years ago, He has done OK so far.
    The lads hit us up on a camping trip a while back saying they would like to tag along on a weekend hunting trip if possible, so not to let an opportunity pass, plans were hatched, dates sorted and eventually away we headed into the Rainbow for a three day weekend.
    We pulled into our parking spot, sorted gear and beat the feet to a camp spot we had used in the past.
    At camp we dumped gear, threw a tarp up under the trees and headed off up the valley. Almost...
    A bolt is missing so the lads run back to the vehicles to locate it, they return empty handed, before digging back through their packs and lo and behold, bolt found.. Ha Ha, that'll keep boys.
    We were carrying a 7mmRM for the tops hunting we were looking forward to, a 223 for the son in law who had only been behind a few rimfires in the past. Mates lad was carrying the good ol Bisley Bushranger in 7.62x39 as we were looking to hunt the bush at the end of the days on our return to camp.
    We hunkered down on the valley floor and glassed the surrounding guts, gully's and ridges for an hour or so before the wind started to turn on us. the decision was made to make the 250 metre climb up the ridge at the top of the valley and drop over into the next valley to make use of the breeze. Somehow the young fellas fell behind as we neared the ridgeline so they headed around a small rock mound to cut us off and catch up.
    My son in law appears from behind an outcrop waving at us frantically. "Five goats in the next valley!!, Zach has them in his binos."
    We start to creep over nearer the rock outcrop, but further right than the lads so we can hopefully see the animals from a different angle as they are walking down and around the bottom of the hill.
    As we near the edge we hear two shots go off. We pop onto the skyline and the lads are so excited. "Animal down" comes the cry.
    Sure enough, 200 yards down the hill is a doe laying in the rocks.
    We sit for a minute and watch. No movement so we find a handy scree slope and drop down to the doe and let Zach claim his prize.
    A nice entry on the shoulder, the round has broken the leg and taken out the lungs. The Chamois only got 10 metres or so before expiring.
    We good dragged her to a flat spot in the rocks, grabbed a couple of photos, removed the head, dropped out the guts and set about prepping for the walk back to camp.
    Zach is a big fella at 6'5" and as strong as an ox. "Ill carry it out whole" He says.
    "It's steep up here mate, we can break it down and share the load"
    "Nah, I want to, I shot her, I'll carry it out"
    We dropped down to the valley floor and an hours walk out down the riverbed saw us back at camp. We strung the carcass up in a tree, I sliced up some liver and the boys boiled the billy, and heated up a pan.
    A couple of cups of coffee to warm up, but it would seem I'm still the only one that likes liver.
    Sunday saw us up in the dark and rearing to go, Head torches on and up the river to check out another valley. 10 am and we pulled the pin, the fog was in and visibility was about 50 metres.
    Back to camp for a brew and breakfast. The fog lifted around noon so we shot up a ridge close to camp to check out the neighbouring valley. Nothing to be seen, A small snow flurry passes so we make a move. Mate took the boys and they headed off up along the ridge to drop back down to camp via a good bit of bush. I wandered back down the hill the way we had come and returned to camp. Billy on and I set to boning out the Lads Chamois.
    The boys wandered in a few hours later having seen a lone chamois about an hour after leaving me but it was in a spot that wouldn't allow a recovery so it was left for next time.
    Monday morning we headed away early and stalked some low bush before breaking out onto the hills and heading up to a good vantage spot were we could split up and glass two valleys at the same time. Nothing but a few hares seen before we have to pull the pin, return to camp to pack up and depart for home. The Lads back to CHCH, and me to Nelson.
    Absolutely stoked to see the boys harvest an animal on their first trip out. It would have been nice to pick up another one or two, but the trip away was enjoyed by all. My Son in Law has stared asking questions about firearms licences and rifles so that's another win in my books.
    A long winded yarn, sorry. But I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by ROKTOY; 31-08-2022 at 11:34 PM.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, madjon_ and 33 others like this.

Nothing like an energetic party sparking interest to get out in these cooler times.
    ROKTOY likes this.

Enjoyed the read,well done on the hunt guys.
    ROKTOY likes this.

Nice bit of country and cool story, well done on the chamois.
    ROKTOY likes this.

go the mighty bushranger...if you can find some 125grn .308 ballistic tips...they go rather well in that combo...as do 130grn speer HPs....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Great wee guns would love to get another one, great story cheers mate

Awesome.
    Good to read that just before I head downstairs to work.
    It is getting me amped for when I get home.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Great report. I particularly like the photo with the chamois ‘shoulder bag’.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well done fellahs. Good yarn.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    go the mighty bushranger...if you can find some 125grn .308 ballistic tips...they go rather well in that combo...as do 130grn speer HPs....
    I get what your are saying but I am not a reloader. The supply of 125 SP Barnaul we have should see us out. At 200 yards they did the job better than I expected.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Great report. I particularly like the photo with the chamois ‘shoulder bag’.
    With a built in umbrella holder. He made the chamois look small.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Well done, get those young fellas skilled up, good trip.

Nothing wrong with a long winded story if you're writing about your exciting time in the hills.
    Well done men.