Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Buying second hand - Gun City

Buying second hand - Gun City

Good morning,

I am very new to hunting and am looking at buying my first rifle. I have decided to go second hand for the first one to save some money to purchase a better scope.

My question is, have many people bought second hand Firearms from Gun City without viewing them first? If so how was your experience? Any issues with the Rifle etc?

I'm assuming they'd make sure they were only selling quality as their reputation is on the line, thought I'd ask just incase.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Identify your target beyond all doubt - No meat or no trophy is better than no mate.

Tight lines!

All I would state is that most asking prices are well above what todays market is fetching..

Quote Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
    Good morning,

I am very new to hunting and am looking at buying my first rifle. I have decided to go second hand for the first one to save some money to purchase a better scope.

My question is, have many people bought second hand Firearms from Gun City without viewing them first? If so how was your experience? Any issues with the Rifle etc?

I'm assuming they'd make sure they were only selling quality as their reputation is on the line, thought I'd ask just incase.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    The expression "pig in a poke" comes to mind.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

A shop has overheads to cover private sellers dont.

Gidday. I have bought a few secondhand rifles of GC over the years. Generally they are overpriced by 20% at least but there is the occasional reasonable deal to be had . . . . A month or more ago I got a very good Savage 223 off them for OK money, especially given how hard it is to get one. Generally however I prefer to buy via the forum or TM

To ensure you don't get something you don't expect from GC get your local branch to get it in for your inspection, usually they are very good about this. They also offer a 3 month (I think) warranty on SH stuff, I've never claimed on it and would think it would depend on your relationship with the local guys.

What are you looking for.

There is some very good buying on this forum if you’re not in a hurry. Better than what you would find at Guncity.
    Dublin, timattalon, RUMPY and 1 others like this.

as with all stores some salesmen will barter, some wont.
    as you re in timaru i would spend $$ on the drive and view the rifles

If you’re not sure what to look out for in a second-hand rifle, could be well worth asking on here if someone with enough experience would be willing to call past the store and inspect it for you, give you their thoughts.

andy ex shooters supplies has set up a mail order company
    https://collectorweapons.co.nz/

might have something too.

as everyone has said over priced I bought a shotgun from them - when it arrived it was a lot more beaten up than what I expected - I rang and complained and to their credit they took it back and sent a much better example- I do hate though that one cant get close to see the firearms that's a nonsense

If you have something specific in mind, put up a wanted post on the forum. Never know your luck
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    If you have something specific in mind, put up a wanted post on the forum. Never know your luck
    And likely to get an honest assesment of comdition and half the price of GC
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    andy ex shooters supplies has set up a mail order company
    https://collectorweapons.co.nz/

might have something too.
    I would tread a little carefully there to - seems way over priced one remington .22 on his web site is $400 cheaper at guncity
    Slug likes this.

STC
    I do not see the point buying second hand at gc.

Usually they are 100$ less from their as new price.

Given how poorly many firearms are treated in NZ, and how common it is to blatantly lie about the number of shots fired, I would always want to assess the firearm in person and do a thorough check, including borescope and ideally test firing it.

If the seller has any problems with that it tells you everything you need to know.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

You are on the right track in trying to save $$ for decent optics, but GC prices on 2nd hand rifles are a rip off. Maybe the odd good deal to be had, but in most cases their asking prices are 30 - 50% higher than private mkt. I get the fact they are in business & have overheads to cover, but their prices really are taking the piss. If you are up for haggling then make them an offer. If they’ve got a $1800 price tag on 2nd rifle then I guess they paid less than $1000 for it, and more likely $8-900. Offer them $1200 - you never know your luck.

As others have said, plenty of good rifles come up for sale here. Some good rifle + scope packages too.
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.