Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Which calibre for tahr?

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Anything other than 308 270

P.S. Apparently 6.5x55 gives you super sniper capabilities, you don't have to read wind, and any load/projectile combo is guaranteed to be a winner.
    Fixed it for you
    DAF, Norway, Toby and 1 others like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

AB Precision
    Don't get me wrong it takes bit of effort to get good respected trophy. But if you want to shoot a tahr it's like oh let's go shoot some goats.

There are loads of them, pressure areas where every mam and his dog go climb high or wait for them to feed down at dusk giving you a tiny hunting window or get up in there face to get plenty of action.

No good tahr on the coast go east coast it's easier hunting. . . . . ..

They are tough tho just good shot placement and don't think oh I hit it keep putting them into them till they are down even more so if it's a good mature bull.

You don't need to buy new gun for them unless you need a excuse to buy a new gun.

Yes there can be longer shots if your capable but if not the animal deserves more respect them to have lead and copper thrown at them. Just get closer. Always easier to hunt down on them then up to them

My 2c

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tui_man2; 04-09-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    puku, Norway, Bryan and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Don't get me wrong it takes bit of effort to get good respected trophy. But if you want to shoot a tahr it's like oh let's go shoot some goats.

There are loads of them, pressure areas where every mam and his dog go climb high or wait for them to feed down at dusk giving you a tiny hunting window or get up in there face to get plenty of action.

No good tahr on the coast go east coast it's easier hunting. . . . . ..

They are tough tho just good shot placement and don't think oh I hit it keep putting them into them till they are down even more so if it's a good mature bull.

You don't need to buy new gun for them unless you need a excuse to buy a new gun.

Yes there can be longer shots if your capable but if not the animal deserves more respect them to have lead and copper thrown at them. Just get closer. Always easier to hunt down on them then up to them

My 2c

Thanks Tui, I'd prefer to get a bit closer if I can I enjoy the stalk a lot more then pulling the trigger. Solid advice all round guys thanks.

As has been said, they are not bullet proof. Anything you shoot red deer with will be fine. I think sensible calibers where you just go and buy ammunition, point it at the right place and then go and collect your dead animal are not too fashionable. Got to agree with Tuiman as well. The hard bit about shooting Tahr seems to be walking up the hill. They don't seem to be that bright. Well made up for by awesome views and clambering around bluffs.

I wonder how many of the animals shot at long range are retrieved?

My neigbour used to spend a lot of time in and around the Mount Cook area as part of the mountain rescue crew. Just prior to my first trip on Tahr we were having a beer or 6 and pointed out that you will see heaps and can shoot quite a few but you may very well not be able to retreive them. In his words, have a bloody good luck at where it might end up before pulling the trigger.

I also agree with what others have said, use the rifle that you normally use and are used to, within reason of course regarding the calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Muel View Post
    Hi All,

I'm planning a tahr hunt for next winter what calibre rifle would you recommend? I currently have a 7mm08 that hasn't let me down yet but I've been told it wont cut the mustard.
    I'm leaning towards a 7mm rem mag. what are your guys thoughts?

Whoever told you that either hasn't done much tahr hunting, is full of shit, or both of the above.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Whoever told you that either hasn't done much tahr hunting, is full of shit, or both of the above.
    I'm starting to think that myself I've taken everything from a red to an Arapawa ram with my 7/08 and its always been ample. It was the guy at my local gun shop that told me it might not stand up maybe he was looking for a sale.
    Toby and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Anything other than 308

P.S. Apparently 6.5x55 gives you super sniper capabilities, you don't have to read wind, and any load/projectile combo is guaranteed to be a winner.
    I'm in pain, laughed so hard I got warm coffee out my nose!
    veitnamcam, Kiwi Greg, ebf and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post

I think that is brilliant advice which I took to heart on my first (and only, me living in Norway) tahr hunt. I climbed to the very top of the mountain and sidled down until I found them. The animals I shot dropped absolutely on the spot and I honestly think any normal caliber would have done the same job. There was nothing dramatic/ special about those shots, I just got into a good rested position and was able to place the shots well.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    I think that is brilliant advice which I took to heart on my first (and only, me living in Norway) tahr hunt. I climbed to the very top of the mountain and sidled down until I found them. The animals I shot dropped absolutely on the spot and I honestly think any normal caliber would have done the same job. There was nothing dramatic/ special about those shots, I just got into a good rested position and was able to place the shots well.
    6.5x55?
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

No, actually I used a 270 as that caliber is easier to get overseas.
    Bryan likes this.

Well said

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Just a goat isnt it?
    F#%^@K OFF with that "just a goat crap!!!! bloody heathen

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    F#%^@K OFF with that "just a goat crap!!!! bloody heathen
    Sorry mate, just a really hairy goat
    veitnamcam, R93 and Munsey like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sorry mate, just a really hairy goat
    I reckon they're dumber than goats personally.

JoshC likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.