Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 4 Post By BRADS
  • 3 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 3 Post By norsk
  • 5 Post By 7mmwsm

Thread: Chronic Wasting Disease

Chronic Wasting Disease

@7mmsaum, @dannyb
    Curious to know why the thread on this was canned.
    This is a very real threat to deer in NZ.
    Vets and the deer industry have been concerned about it turning up here for decades.
    Hunting related gear coming in is something we should be vigilant about.
    And quite frankly MPI and Border Control do an OK job some days, but are very mediocre other days. I've brought a bit of stuff home and some days you really need to rub their noses in it to get them to pay attention.
    Would you guys consider opening the thread again?
    Civil discussion on this would definitely be good for educating hunters.
    Overkill is still dead.

Its like didymo coming into the country thru fishermans boots or from bird life from overseas and stuffing up our rivers.Anything is possible but im sure MPI will be watching.We got a lot of cows (footnmouth)and deer out there.

With the recent comments on the MPI cost cutting (6.5% of budget) there's apparently a very real prospect that some border agricultural protection functions might be reduced in scope or put off for a couple of years. Concerning if this happens, and raises the risk of (more) animal and plant diseases coming in but then what else do you do when the coffers are empty and the $$ aren't there to fund all the required functions?
    tetawa and BRADS like this.

You right there No3,running on empty.

There are far greater risks to our agricultural industry, not saying it's not important....just putting it in perspective
    But our total deer related exports are just over 300 million, to put that into perspective, beef exports 11.4 billion, 2.7 billion sheep, 25 billion dairy.
    Would a simple fix be you must buy new gear when you get into nz ? Your spending all this money to come to nz, I can't see having to buy new boots and gear putting the yanks off.
    It's pretty hard to take anything with ( zombie deer) as a title to seriously.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 24-03-2024 at 01:32 PM.
    Trout, tetawa, mikee and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    @7mmsaum, @dannyb
    Curious to know why the thread on this was canned.
    This is a very real threat to deer in NZ.
    Vets and the deer industry have been concerned about it turning up here for decades.
    Hunting related gear coming in is something we should be vigilant about.
    And quite frankly MPI and Border Control do an OK job some days, but are very mediocre other days. I've brought a bit of stuff home and some days you really need to rub their noses in it to get them to pay attention.
    Would you guys consider opening the thread again?
    Civil discussion on this would definitely be good for educating hunters.
    Have at it, wasn't intended....normal rules apply
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    You right there No3,running on empty.
    It is a real concern at the mo, my relatives working in various departments are all singing the same song - assets beyond their useful life and either requiring major overhaul and rebuild or with maintenance requirements increasing in cost without budget to do it, major 'back of house' works either in the middle of being implemented or needing to be done, huge amounts of OIA and minister requests basically taking critical team members off the tools and no way to replace the labour hours, and then the requirement to shave budgets. It's a difficult if not impossible scenario and as noted the external risks aren't going away for outfits like MPI who are the front line against new diseases.
    Eat Meater likes this.

During covid with stricter border control , very little people moving , AUS somehow managed to import Varoa mites ( the thought is from NZ origin) Major economic impact for bees, knowing that, DPI still allowed bees to be moved from affected area- cause of the economic impact of not having bees to fertilize the almond crops, so they let it spread. One wonders at stupidity

It's in the Reindyr herds here,they had to wipe out an entire herd in Nordfjellet because of it. That flocks genetics reached back undiluted to the last ice age.

So far it hasn't jumped into Red derr but they say it's just a matter of time.

If anyone needs any specific questions answered by an expert my mates misses did her thesis on it.
    Pengy, Goose and Happy Jack like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    There are far greater risks to our agricultural industry, not saying it's not important....just putting it in perspective
    But our total deer related exports are just over 300 million, to put that into perspective, beef exports 11.4 billion, 2.7 billion sheep, 25 billion dairy.
    Would a simple fix be you must buy new gear when you get into nz ? Your spending all this money to come to nz, I can't see having to buy new boots and gear putting the yanks off.
    It's pretty hard to take anything with ( zombie deer) as a title to seriously.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    I think the biggest threat of CWD arriving is from Kiwis coming home, not "yanks" bringing it.
    Kiwis are bastards for ticking whatever box will get them through the airport ques fastest, and being happy when an official does a half arse check and sends them on.
    john m, ZQLewis, dannyb and 2 others like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Outside the box thoughts .

When the information was released it came out of Sweden . Alarms bells for a start .
    Do your home work and find out which safari parks who keep deer will not be effected .but also who owns the place .
    Don't be blinded by the lies

I was a meat inspector for venison. I.know the rules

Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    Outside the box thoughts .

When the information was released it came out of Sweden . Alarms bells for a start .
    Do your home work and find out which safari parks who keep deer will not be effected .but also who owns the place .
    Don't be blinded by the lies

I was a meat inspector for venison. I.know the rules
    What makes alarm bells ring from the Swedish origin of the original info?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"