Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Cordite
  • 3 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 2 Post By tikka
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 3 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Cleaning a free floated rifle

Cleaning a free floated rifle

Hi team,

Any advice on what is the best way to clean a rifle with a free floated barrel, particularly after some bush bashing?

Would you just clean the top half of the barrel on the outside and ignore any debris that got inside the barrel channel?

How often would remove the stock to give the barreled action a proper clean?

Do you find the point of impact changes after reinstalling the stock? Any need to re-sight in the rifle?

Cheers!

Dental floss? Sure you get the idea.
    turtle likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I take my rifles out of their stocks all the time and I’ve never had this so called point of impact shift
    Bol Tackshin, turtle and BSA270 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Once a year ( or before a big trip planed to wet places like Stewart island or fiord land, and after), take rifle out of its stock, make sure everything is dry and apply very light coat of gun oil or grease on the underneath surfaces.
    Put back the rifle together , recheck your zero and that is all. If you have been bush bashing, just use a handkerchief or something similar to dislodge the forest bits.
    Quite often, on a lot of the old rifles I m taking appart, the underside of the barrel where the forehand is , has a blueing in Better condition than the rifle. ( except we’re wood and metal would have been in tight contact allowing water to stagnate and form rust on the metal).
    veitnamcam likes this.

The best way to clean a rifle,free floated or not is to take it out of the stock and clean and oil it ( yes even stainless ones)
    If it is free floated and the bedding is good it should be good to go but I would check zero on any rifle that has been dissasembled.
    If said rifle is well known to be a shooter that check could be only one or two shots.

Pressure bedded rifles on the other hand are a whole different kettle of fish........
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten
    My 308 has enough room to slide a patch down the channel so it’s easy to clean. It usually gets pulled apart about once or twice a decade. It has a fibreglass stock.
    The 243, wooden stock and bedded/floated by me, needs the channel opened up some more when I “get a round tuit”.

Both shoot where they should when reassembled.

Just use a torque wrench and remove the stock. Clean. Torque stock back to where it was. Good to go. My poi has never changed with sako /tikka rifles
    BSA270 likes this.

I'm the same as Ryan pull the stock off all the time, rainy day in the tent plenty of down time for cleaning. Dosen't take long to empty stock of Manuka, Birch leaves, small twigs and wipe down barrel , action etc.
    turtle and BSA270 like this.

Piece of paper works ok too, can get it in up by the action and take the crap toward the muzzle
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Piece of paper works ok too, can get it in up by the action and take the crap toward the muzzle
    Like dental floss?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Like dental floss?
    Not sure how you would get that around the barrel at the action end to sweep the crap out of the channel toward the muzzle, rather than forcing it further in, so no, not like dental floss
    Cordite likes this.

Banned
    Blat with compressed air
    Gibo, 7mil08 and Cordite like this.

Blow some compressed air through it (carefully if stock is wooden) then use the ’shoe shine rag’ method, then more compressed air. If the second blast of air doesn’t blow anything out it should be clear. At this point use an oily rag underneath, job done.