Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: The Cons of Suppressors .........?

just found with my 243 it didn't take many shots at the range till the barrel under the suppressor was too hot to touch.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Sorry, not personal but I would have to say I disagree with everything you've brought up

I've had a few rifles with suppressors now. Currently only one, the others sold for make way for better toys! Haha.

My 7-08, was chopped to 16 inches, with DPT suppressor. It had slightly more weight up front, but the overall balance of the rifle was improved as it was butt heavy anyway. It was an excellent 0-400m hunting rifle.

I personally find that more weight upfront is better for off-hand standing shots, they are steadier and swing better. Similar to a longer barrelled shotgun. A light fronted rifle can be a bitch to hold steady off hand freestanding.

How many shots are you firing to heat up the barrel to the point its causing issues? Obviously on the range it might be an issue, but in a hunting situation maybe 4-5 max?

Any of the decent suppressors on the market today WILL reduce recoil and bang.

Cleaning not a problem, two or three extra passes with a copper brush and oily rag is hardly time consuming. Most suppressors are low maintenance, 0-clean and work better with a bit of residue in them anyway.

My .223 chopped and suppressed is 100gms heavier than the factory rifle but is 2 inches shorter than factory length, so its a great carrying rifle.

Fair enough if they weren't for you, everyone's different, but I would be confident in saying you're probably in the minority.
    yeah I know im a minority. and everyones different (there perspective)

recoil reduction video, knock yourself out suppressor lovers.

T2 Terminator muzzle brake & suppressor demo on a 308 - YouTube
    BRADS and Southhunter like this.

Of course a muzzle brake is going to reduce recoil more than a suppressor, that's what they are designed to do. But a brake on a general purpose hunting rifle, no thanks.
    Toby, Happy and Micky Duck like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Of course a muzzle brake is going to reduce recoil more than a suppressor, that's what they are designed to do. But a brake on a general purpose hunting rifle, no thanks.
    no my point was suppressor vs nothing or bare barrel, it looked to make some yet bugger all difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    no my point was suppressor vs nothing or bare barrel, it looked to make some yet bugger all difference.
    I would challenge that my MAE makes a pretty massive reduction on my rifle from none at all. You just need to watch the muzzle jump with it off to see how good it is.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    just found with my 243 it didn't take many shots at the range till the barrel under the suppressor was too hot to touch.

Is this with over barrel?

yes

If you're using it on a bolt gun, then the dirtiness shouldn't be too much of an issue, a little more fouling around the case mouth.

One of the best things I've found about using a supressor (suppose it goes for brakes as well) is that it protects the crown of your rifle and makes it harder to get sticks and dirt in the muzzle of your rifle (Maybe i'm just rough though).

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I would challenge that my MAE makes a pretty massive reduction on my rifle from none at all. You just need to watch the muzzle jump with it off to see how good it is.
    I watched my poor mate shooting his T3 .270. has no sup or brake not even a limb saver! poor bastard. Good for a laugh watching the poor bugger shoot it though.
    Nibblet likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I watched my poor mate shooting his T3 .270. has no sup or brake not even a limb saver! poor bastard. Good for a laugh watching the poor bugger shoot it though.
    I know someone similar @AndrewH, except I'm the one that gets the shits form it, weighs nothing and boots something terrible. Just leaps back at your face, I refuse to shoot it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    I know someone similar @AndrewH, except I'm the one that gets the shits form it, weighs nothing and boots something terrible. Just leaps back at your face, I refuse to shoot it now.
    get the wife to pick you up some hardening cream from the chemist

puku, graham99, Nick.m and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Here is a thought

Take a video of the rifle being shot with the suppressor, then tape the suppressor securely under the barrel at the same overall length & then video another shot, will be interesting to see the difference

Might do that with the 50 for S&Gs, will leave the brake on though I'm not that brave

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    get the wife to pick you up some hardening cream from the chemist

Is that the stuff you old bastards rub on it to get it up and hard?
    graham99, stingray and Pengy like this.

These threads start more scraps the "what's the best deer cal"
    My 2 cents yes suppress your 308, if was a cal any bigger no your wasting time.
    Only put a muzzle forward can on if your cutting the barrel way back like 12 inches, there's nothing more retarded than a muzzle forward can on a full length tube
    As VC has said with an over barrel can if you give it a good serve the mirage of the can will do your head in through the scope and the barrel will take ages two cool
    As Greg alluded two often people think there cans are amazing, stops muzzle jump, and kick but forget there gun is now 4 inches longer and 600grams heavier right at the front
    Order your can they sure have there place
    Toby likes this.

Ejected
    If its range shooting though size and weight doesn't really matter, like the op said for his son to be more confident shooting it, guessing he's young and shooting it prone and not dragging it everywhere?

I must have gone full retard Brads cos I have a full length (26inch) 308 with a muzzle forward can on it don't usually have to carry it more than 20m though.
    Barefoot and BRADS like this.