Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By scotty
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Daithi
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By Hugh Shields
  • 1 Post By tiroahunta
  • 1 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By Hugh Shields

Thread: Coromandel Peninsula - Moehau Range - Pest Animals?

Coromandel Peninsula - Moehau Range - Pest Animals?

I've been asked if I would travel to the end of the road on the eastern side of the Coromandel Peninsula to cull rabbits?
    "HELL YES!" What an amazing opportunity to visit a unique part of Aotearoa, which I have never been to.
    In the 1970's my uncle and aunty had a tin hut at Whangapoua, which was the first street back from the beach and had a long-drop toilet! I understand Whangapoua is now basically a suburb of Auckland!?

So the question for the forum members, who are familiar with that area is, what species of pest animal are there in them there hills? The residents tell me there are rabbits. Are there also hare, goats, deer (species?) and pigs? Have possum been eradicated from that area? Are there ferrets, stoats and weasels? Rats? I might take some DOC 200 traps... Feral cats? (cage traps). Dogs for that matter?

Is the Predator Free New Zealand operational in this area?

A bit of local knowledge would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Hugh

there wont be any deer up there , as soon as theres a whiff of them in coromandel DOC send the cullers in...possum and pig yes goat probably..... i dont think theyve managed to eradicate anything except the deer (during covid pest numbers skyrocketed ) probably good numbers of the smaller pests
    Pengy and Hugh Shields like this.

I culled up there in the early 70s , back then goats were our main pest animal as well as pigs. Possums weren’t up there then, rabbits and hares were around on some of the properties we hunted. Never seen ferrets or stoats but no doubt they were present. Have been up there in a long time, was a neat place to hunt back in the NZFS days.
    Hugh Shields likes this.

Plenty of pigs, the odd goat in places. Nailed a load of possums and rabbits up near there in September. Possums everywhere on the peninsula.
    Hugh Shields likes this.

Cheers @scotty @Mooseman @Daithi
    Good intell. Sounds like I don't need to take anything bigger than Hornet or triple two.
    I recall seeing heaps of possums on the dirt road over the top. I'm happy to hear they are still there, there is nothing more graceful than a possum plummeting out-of a tall tree! I shot four of those fluffy marsupials this week, great fun!
    How steep are the Morhau Ranges? Thick bush or easy going? Grass areas? Are there those big grooves in the ground where the kauri trees were dragged out?
    Lots of questions, but I'm kind of excited about going on a nice long road trip and a good hunting mission/challenge.
    Last edited by Hugh Shields; 09-03-2024 at 06:58 PM.

Think steep and thick unless hunting bush margins.
    I think you will find access will be hard with lots of steep country thats too hard to get up or down. Access with be spurs and some creek beds.
    Been a long time since I was last at the top of Moehau but I did see goats and I did hunt a few a little south of there but thats too far back to give a current indication.
    I have done a few walks off the 309 and Coroglen Tapu over the last few years. expect to see pig hunters.
    Z
    Hugh Shields likes this.

Update: OK so I didn't get that job. The travel costs from Wellington to Coromandel @ Govt rate of 83c per kilometre came to $1160 and the community couldn't get over that hurdle.

The community is currently exploring the possibility of finding a local contract culler (or free recreational shooter) to cull th rabbits on their property and are also looking to get other property owners to join a community wide rabbit eradication program. I have offered to put a note on this forum:

"WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE! A COMMERCIAL RABBIT CULLER (or free recreational shooter) TO ERADICATE RABBITS ON REMOTE COROMANDEL FARM. IF THAT SOUNDS LIKE YOU, CONTACT HUGH SHIELDS, CONTROLLED RABBIT CULLING, WELLINGTON/KAPITI Mobile : 021 9888 41"
    a.hart7411 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    Update: OK so I didn't get that job. The travel costs from Wellington to Coromandel @ Govt rate of 83c per kilometre came to $1160 and the community couldn't get over that hurdle.

The community is currently exploring the possibility of finding a local contract culler (or free recreational shooter) to cull th rabbits on their property and are also looking to get other property owners to join a community wide rabbit eradication program. I have offered to put a note on this forum:

"WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE! A COMMERCIAL RABBIT CULLER (or free recreational shooter) TO ERADICATE RABBITS ON REMOTE COROMANDEL FARM. IF THAT SOUNDS LIKE YOU, CONTACT HUGH SHIELDS, CONTROLLED RABBIT CULLING, WELLINGTON/KAPITI Mobile : 021 9888 41"
    There's a dude the advertises on FB based outa Cambridge. Precision something or other. Thermals n fancy slug guns is what he uses...

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk
    Hugh Shields likes this.

OK, they wont be actually eradicating anything specially rabbits.
    Control would be the right word.

As said its a long drive so unlikely commercially worthwhile unless in residence for a month or two.

Another tack would be to offer free accomodation and perhaps food eg fish and chips plus a pie a day or maybe fuel top ups while they're there. Feeling welcome is worth heaps. If its knockback of visible rabbit damage they want then a PCP could be essential kit.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Thanks @Bagheera, my ommission sorry, there is free accommodation in a farm house. I don't know about a pie and a pint each day, but with the Moana just across the road I would imagine snapper would be a given!

Hello Team Forum, I'm going to close this thread off now. I have sent the community four contacts so far, so I'll leave it to them to discuss.
    Thanks for your interest and offers to assist which have come from both commercial and recreational shooters, very much appreciated.

Hugh
    ZQLewis likes this.