Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Cow Elk 688 Yards With a .243

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Yep I know what you are saying but that isn't that likely with a "little" slow calibre like the 243 & that shot looks very much to me to be a spine shot just on/behind the lungs/diaphram
    Have to agree. The back legs drop first, it almost sits momentarily. That isn't normal for a spine concussing shot so it must be a direct spine hit as Greg states.

Large heavy bodied deer, 688 yards, 243. Posted and boasted on YouTube ?!!
    Sorry for me this is plain wrong on so many levels.
    Shearer and Shamus like this.

So 2012, how shit rolled back then on the internets.
    veitnamcam likes this.

grumpy old man number 2 here
    I dont have figures for 105 grn but do have for 100grn.
    if we are generous and say they are getting a neat 3000fps (which is pretty much max for 100grn)
    so we will stick to figures for the 100grn the 5% extra weicht possibly off set by less velocity???

start at 3000fps by 500 yards down to 1890 add another hundy down to approx 1740(500 figure from start of 2800) giving energy of 671 ft-lbs .68 sec in flight and 50" drop

good shot....maybe????
    responsible.....yeah nah

plan B if she cocked it up or bullet drifted 6" back into guts?????? didnt see back up shooter in clip and dont think she had enough time/experience to throw that bolt and get back onto target if it went south going on the few comments made.... sure they are at altitude so rifles shoot flatter than at sea level but the room for error is huge.....
    GSP HUNTER and chainsaw like this.

Anyone notice the bullet pass through and hit the brush in the background?

Fyi. i'm getting 3000 fps with 105 bergers and 108 eld-m over a chronograph. and yes it probably has some error.
    that gives me over 1000 Flb of energy at 500 meters not yards.

Yes 24" barrel and custom action but only running at book max loads. Have gone 1 gr hotter wheb working up initial load just to see if i had any room left for temp variations etc
    no issues brass chambers Just fine. Win supreme 780, lapua brass etc.

you don't gave to be too pinpoint accuracy wise. large animal has a larger target area and those bullets genade.
    Not suggesting I'm capable of making that shot but my rig is. goats at 400 are pushing my limits.
    Zq

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Fyi. i'm getting 3000 fps with 105 bergers and 108 eld-m over a chronograph. and yes it probably has some error.
    that gives me over 1000 Flb of energy at 500 meters not yards.

Yes 24" barrel and custom action but only running at book max loads. Have gone 1 gr hotter wheb working up initial load just to see if i had any room left for temp variations etc
    no issues brass chambers Just fine. Win supreme 780, lapua brass etc.

you don't gave to be too pinpoint accuracy wise. large animal has a larger target area and those bullets genade.
    Not suggesting I'm capable of making that shot but my rig is. goats at 400 are pushing my limits.
    Zq
    Big difference between 400 and 688. 688 with a 243 is stunt shooting in my book. Save it for the paper or steel.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Name:  back-to-the-future.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  303.7 KB

I guess its not much different to shooting Reds with a 222/223 at 300 yards. Plenty of that goes on.
    Pongo12 and stevodog like this.

northdude
    Here we go again right or wrong it can be done in the right hands fuk me I shot a pig with a 22 once what a sinner
    Paddy79 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    So 2012, how shit rolled back then on the internets.
    I think that it is relevant to re-examine this now in 2018. In the last six years there has been a big take-up of long range hunting. Just because we can hit an animal at long range with a 243 etc that doesn't mean that it is ethically right. That is what is being explored here. If a 300 win mag or similar was used I would feel a lot happier.Attachment 90918
    chainsaw likes this.

It was more a sarcastic comment on the age of the thread.
    A terrific shot either way no matter how you look at it.
    Not something I'd likely attempt personally, but certainly as internet worthy as it was lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I guess its not much different to shooting Reds with a 222/223 at 300 yards. Plenty of that goes on.
    At over twice the distance you would have to be twice as accurate.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

105 amax @ 3000fps = 826 ftl-bs at 688 yards. 26lbs more than you need.

If you can pull this shot off reliably (10/10 times) on steel then crack on.

Ethics are up to the individual, I reckon 800 ft-lbs is the ethical minimum for reds and thar. Never shot Wap / Elk, but would surmise that 1000 ft-lbs would be about right even if the above evidence suggests otherwise.

“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.” -Aldo Leopold
    gadgetman likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

yeah/nah - its nothing to do with ft lbs, its about respecting your quarry and making sound/ethical judgements. Hell, if you want to be a hero get your mate to wander out to 688 yards and stand there holding a 6 in gong while you take "the hero shot".