Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By HHDenmark
  • 1 Post By HHDenmark
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 2 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By nowool
  • 1 Post By norsk

Thread: Danish traditional bowhunter seeking advise

Danish traditional bowhunter seeking advise

I plan on a hunting trip to New Zealand during the Easter 2020. (3/4 - 14/4). It is my intention to rent a car on arrival, hunt on public land and live off the backpack. I do not have any requirements for special exotic species, but would be well pleased to hunt feral goats or simmilar. Since I will be hunting with my longbow, it should probably provide enough challenges. The wife is in the stage of considering whether she wants to participate, if she decides to join me a mountain hunt is is a no go if she is also going to enjoy the trip. I found some interesting areas on the Department of Conservations webside and inspected some aerial photos, but if any of you would like to share some hands-on experience, feel free to send me a private messenge.
    I would greatly appreciate any help

Best regards.
    Henrik
    nowool likes this.

Email DOC. There are areas of public land where they would love to reduce the goat numbers. I'm sure they would be happy to point you to some easy spots.
    Last edited by Shearer; 02-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Which island are you going to? South or North?

Quote Originally Posted by HHDenmark View Post
    I plan on a hunting trip to New Zealand during the Easter 2020. (3/4 - 14/4). It is my intention to rent a car on arrival, hunt on public land and live off the backpack. I do not have any requirements for special exotic species, but would be well pleased to hunt feral goats or simmilar. Since I will be hunting with my longbow, it should probably provide enough challenges. The wife is in the stage of considering whether she wants to participate, if she decides to join me a mountain hunt is is a no go if she is also going to enjoy the trip. I found some interesting areas on the Department of Conservations webside and inspected some aerial photos, but if any of you would like to share some hands-on experience, feel free to send me a private messenge.
    I would greatly appreciate any help

Best regards.
    Henrik
    Velkommen

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Email DOC. There are areas of public land where they would love to reduce the goat numbers. I'm sure they would be happy to point you to some easy spots.
    Thanks, I Will try that

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Which island are you going to? South or North?

I have been looking into some areas within the taranaki region on the north central Island. But I am open to any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Velkommen
    Mange tak!
    Cordite likes this.

Remember easter and around that month is the busiest time of the year in new zealand. So take care out there and remember that most huts will be full
    HHDenmark likes this.

Hello and Welcome!

I suggest you extend your trip,it will take you at least 4 days to get your head straightend out from the Jetlag. You will have to adjust to driving on the other side of the road and your Bodies "Inbuild compass" will be completely reversed,you will think east is west and north is south.

Alot of Tourists are involved in car accidents and many also get lost in the Bush. With some planning and extension of your plans you can calmly avoid many pitfalls and have a much more enjoyable trip.

As you may already know,New Zealand Hunting is unique.

As for bringing your Long Bow?Better check up on that,i suppose its made from untreated wood,same as your arrows and if your fletches are actual feathers,then thats definatly a no-go
    Shearer and HHDenmark like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

4 days for jetlag, wow! Wish I had that much time to adjust doing FIFO work. I usually find a days rest after fly in is fine, even for holidays.

kudos to the longbow! a lost talent and good on you to continue its tradition! raise a cup to Howard Hill
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
    4 days for jetlag, wow! Wish I had that much time to adjust doing FIFO work. I usually find a days rest after fly in is fine, even for holidays.
    Are you swapping Hemispheres though?
    Pengy likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Are you swapping Hemispheres though?
    East to west hemispheres yes, 22-26 hours flying. Maybe we are talking about different things. Are you saying everyone on holidays around the world is no good for the first 4 days after an all day flight? Vacations, business, sports, nothing would function if this was the case.