Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Deer Meat

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I put in fridge at about 2 degrees, place on trays so the meats not in the blood that drips out, cover with a light cloth to stop drying out to much, and leave it in there 5-7 days . Younger animals about 5 days older ones 7 or even a bit more if its looking good. You can clean the drip trays part way through the process to keep things tidy.
    Yes - neighbour does the exact same
    I have used his setup too and we often share Veni
    We on Solar so our frigeration is limited unfortunatly - but your above system works good.

R93
    If you have a coolish place out of the sun and vacuum pack, you don't even need a fridge.

You can usually tell how chewy a piece of meat will be when you put a knife to it.
    If I have any I suspect will be tough I vacuum pack and leave on racks in the garage for a week then freeze or eat.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    If you have a coolish place out of the sun and vacuum pack, you don't even need a fridge.

You can usually tell how chewy a piece of meat will be when you put a knife to it.
    If I have any I suspect will be tough I vacuum pack and leave on racks in the garage for a week then freeze or eat.

Your back

Yes - 1st time I used Vac pack meat was when in Pureora in 80's - and as you say don't need a fridge - I used a creek what never saw sun
    For memory even in summer the temp never went above 9
    Thats why I started using - but Murphy's law - when meat was taken in - you would shot something 1st or 2nd day but the Vac packed kept real well and never got wasted apart from a flash flood a couple of times

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Your back

Yes - 1st time I used Vac pack meat was when in Pureora in 80's - and as you say don't need a fridge - I used a creek what never saw sun
    For memory even in summer the temp never went above 9
    Thats why I started using - but Murphy's law - when meat was taken in - you would shot something 1st or 2nd day but the Vac packed kept real well and never got wasted apart from a flash flood a couple of times
    Only back long enough to wash some gear. Fly back in tomorrow or as soon as weather bomb clears.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

4-7 days in a chiller/ 3-5 days in a fridge if boned out. If freezing you could do it after a day if you not using it for 6 months plus, always more tender after its been frozen after a few months. When had plenty venison freezes good, stuff 12 months old was prime meat.

Thanks fellas for the insight and yes I do have a cold room I normally run it at 0-3 degree its a fan forced room it can be turned into a freezer so sounds like I've got to be careful not to dry the meat out
    And Chur Bay yes mate i'll get a couple there's plenty there just drive through the paddock and shoot a couple nobody chases them there it's private land and can only get on when invited so should be good

I recon shot placement is key for making meat nice and tender. If you can hit the deer so it drops on the spot your meat will be far more tender than 1 that has done some running. You won't need to hang it as long if it has been dropped instantly. All the extra adrenaline in their system makes it slightly tougher.
    Last edited by 300wsm for life; 29-04-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Bleeding is also a plus, I don't think you always need to cut the throat as most bullets cause major internal damage and bleed out on the inside, if they are still kicking a bit cutting the throat helps.

Bit like beef a head shot is best 300wsm for life and tender meat compared to struggling animal and as Mooseman said bleeding does help in beef as well even the meat will keep longer if bled thanks fellas all I need now is get this trip under way as soon as we get the go ahead

I did something similar. Used plywood and cut it to fit in the shelf grooves. It has 4 eye bolts that I can hang off.

Good advice as above hanging or on a rack in the fridge is best. Don’t put in a bucket to fester in its own blood. Just a note: meat can be kept at -2 no problem as it freezes at -4 depending on the iron content.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.