Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Deer taking over Lower Hutt

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Not the case for all of Hawkes Bay. Some of the areas that traditionally held the highest deer numbers out towards the Ranges etc probably peaked a couple of years ago.
    Farms who never used to let people hunt are now letting people in. Others have given the deer a good tickle up and some have even got the chopper in. On some of the more open blocks the deer struggle to hide and can be controlled extremely effectively via a quick chopper flight.
    Likewise some have just told hunters to shoot everything the see and it is amazing how quickly the deer population has dropped.
    Deer aren't like goats.....they don't breed all that fast.
    That's good to know, thanks for that. Great to hear logic is taking over as well, with farmers and hunters working together. Now it's time for us coastal guys to get our act together. It's a shame anyone needs to resort to helicopters (unless it's forum members doing the work of course!).
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Better deer then a town full of snowflakes rainbows and unicorns.
    The deer probably make better conversation than the snowflakes et al!

All we need is hunters with Hollywood-style silencers and then it's free venison for all with enough gumption to collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    1930's I believe we were a gnats cock away from introducing mountain lions until Federated Farmers or some such told the govt: fast deer, slow sheep...which one do you think the mountain lions will feats on.
    Years ago I read an article where they tried to establish mountain lions in the South Island. But the 2 out of the 3 that were being imported died on the way over. Was pre-1900 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Better deer then a town full of snowflakes rainbows and unicorns.
    That all depends on how unicorns taste!

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    That first deer has some Wapiti or Eastern Red Deer blood, (my pick is Wap in the first deer) so must have been some farm escapees around there. The second deer ( by the fence) likely has a little Eastern as well. The running spiker is a straight red. By Eastern I mean Hungarian, Yugo, Romanian type which have been imported for farming
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 30-12-2020 at 11:49 AM.