Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: disabled or physically impaired hunting ...

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I like that rifle rest , beats me why I never did that , I just clamber off and use the existing rack
    yep muz (@quadhunter260 's) rest is the bees knees I have his old one which is just a single bar as you can see that works as well but no where as good as the bench rest style rest

there's a few pros to being on a bike the main one being you don't have to carry meat or gear or anything our rifles are pretty solid my main is a 6mmrem 26 inch trueflight UM barrel .75 at muzzle built on a tikka action and weighs in at about 10lb scoped with its 4-14 vx3 30mm poor @Rushy had to shoot it off hand the other day poor bastard quite funny to watch but

muz's is a 260rem 24inch trueflight UM .85 at the muzzle built on an A-bolt and weighs around 11-12 lb scoped

as we have rests on our quads we never off hand them anyway and we don't need to carry them so we are pretty much using bench rest rifles and they work wonders as sometimes you can't stalk for obvious reasons and need to take a longer shot......

still I would trade it all in for a set of working legs and a short little bush gun.......... but hay it is what it is and we just have to make do as best we can.....

Wonderfull to see all you physically challenged guys not letting the restrictions hold you back which shows how much we can adapt to changed circumstances, All the best for the up coming op & hope it,s a success, with many more enjoyable hunts to come.

ebf
    Good comments about the rifle setups Rambo, makes a lot of sense.

Stumpy. once your new leg is ready to roll, lemme know, either Akatarawa (there is access your side and mine) or Aorangi. I'll be happy to drag whatever you shoot back to the quad
    mikee, Pengy and stumpy like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

cheers ebf ...im expecting with the new surgery and the stupid expensive knee that I will able to be a lot more agile and way less fatiqued than before .....
    I want thank all on here who have offered help and ideas , ... and good on the guys with CP ...
    cheers
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

@stumpy will you be able to get off the quad and walk a bit? just thinking you may be ok with some bush stalking as long as the terrain isn't too bad you may be able to use your bike to get somewhere promising then put small stalks in on foot?
    Dougie and stumpy like this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    @stumpy we have met... Pistol club
    I'll introduce myself when I'm back in NZ and we'll sus something.
    You supply towbar- ill supply quad, spot and beer

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    yep muz (@quadhunter260 's) rest is the bees knees I have his old one which is just a single bar as you can see that works as well but no where as good as the bench rest style rest
    Was a cardboard box last time out...
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    what ever works at the time
    another option

for a quad rest however better with a tool box not a jury rigged fuel can but was a last moment adjustment

Name:  12145_105358339478522_141367_n.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  75.2 KB

Forgotmaboltagain+1

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    yep ya smartarse

im going to be trailing a toolbox/bipod combo next hopefully abit more flexiable depending on situation
    Turns out i was stronger than my demons/issues led me to belive

Heh Stumpy just read your post real inspirational mate, its tough in those hills. I had polio at 4months old lost the calf muscle in my right leg, so itsa bit wobbly. However i have been hunting since i was 18 and managed the hills with one leg doing the work. Since the mid 90s i have hunted around the Gisborne area with the help of two mates and a trx 400 quad. These quys have been awesome and have realy enable me to get to places that got amongst the deer. I have sold the quad as work commitments overtook the hunting unfortunately. Since then have got into jetski fishing which has been really good and easy to do For people with disabilites this a good sport, being a reasonable swimmer would help, theres a good club in auckland called Jetski Fishing run by Andrew Hill. . However I was thinking about getting another quad and getting back into the hunting again while the mobility is still good.
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Im about to loose mine above the knee , after 5 years and 21 opps I think I might be better off with out it ..........dunno
    Thatcould well be. Iwas run over by a truck when I was a kid of 5yrs. They saved half my foot but there was debris ground into the bone and soft tissue and I had some really bad infections, heaps more skin grafts an reductions till, in the end, I was in hospital yet again, and asked the surgeon to whack it off. He didwith a particular method and I"ve now got no left foot but also no problems with it.But I'm amazed they haven't been able to plate and pin your femur, mate Have you had infections or osteomyelitis in it?

some crazy xrays i missed this post 1st time round

update?
    have you managed to get out much?