Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 3 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 9 Post By Sidetrack
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 2 Post By paremata
  • 1 Post By brad

Thread: DOC not giving out private landowner contact details

MB

DOC not giving out private landowner contact details

I contacted DOC to get the contact details of a farmer to ask permission to cross his land to hunt on public land. DOC said they couldn't do this due to the "privacy act". They did it a few years ago and I think they even had contact details on their website at one point, so something has changed. If a landowner is not amenable to people crossing their land, then fair enough, but I did manage to contact the farmer and it was all good. DOC aren't making it easy.
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I contacted DOC to get the contact details of a farmer to ask permission to cross his land to hunt on public land. DOC said they couldn't do this due to the "privacy act". They did it a few years ago and I think they even had contact details on their website at one point, so something has changed. If a landowner is not amenable to people crossing their land, then fair enough, but I did manage to contact the farmer and it was all good. DOC aren't making it easy.
    When I worked for DOC I wrote out hundreds of permits and was asked many times for landowner contact details - we never gave any out as we did not have permission from the landowner to do so - there were exceptions but only where there was an agreed / legal long term access - but even then usually only the address or name of the station nothing else
    Shearer, paremata and MarkN like this.

I think all government departments are on the same page with this. No details are released unless the owner (or whoever) has agreed to it. In DoCs case, I know if I was a land owner I wouldn't want every man and his dog ringing me up.
    308 and RUMPY like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I'd say fare enough. If you want to contact them knock on the door.
    With farms how do you work out which farm owns which land? DOC should at least be able to tell you which farm if you show them on a map where you want to go so you don't end up having to go around several farms trying to work out which is the correct one. No need for personal details to be given out just which farm.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    With farms how do you work out which farm owns which land? DOC should at least be able to tell you which farm if you show them on a map where you want to go so you don't end up having to go around several farms trying to work out which is the correct one. No need for personal details to be given out just which farm.
    suggest use WAMS mapping and then a visit -
    Shearer and XR500 like this.

Owaka DOC office has a small whiteboard hanging on the wall next to the counter which has the hunting blocks listed, whoever has booked and what period and the landowner details if they require contact. All done in cooperation with them, relaxed and open.

They do have long serving staff in that office and it shows. Easy to get along with, helpful and can have a chat. Just making things work on a local level, just as it should be.
    Dama dama, 308, Shearer and 6 others like this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Why don't Doc start a system like the onX app like they use in USA. I understand that has the ability to contact land owners to retrieve game that's crossed a boundary or to get access through private land. People on here would have used this while over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Owaka DOC office has a small whiteboard hanging on the wall next to the counter which has the hunting blocks listed, whoever has booked and what period and the landowner details if they require contact. All done in cooperation with them, relaxed and open.

They do have long serving staff in that office and it shows. Easy to get along with, helpful and can have a chat. Just making things work on a local level, just as it should be.
    a suggestion - try to contact one of the Wild Animal Control staff at your local DOC office - many of the receptionists have very little knowledge of hunting areas no matter how friendly they are - the Wild Animal Control staff more often than not are hunters who may be able to help - I once went into an office in a new area to me and was disgusted to draw a complete blank from woman behind counter - I asked can you give me no information on this particular area - I was treated a bit like bloody flystrike - a nuisance to her day - so I took great delight in telling her before I left I was DOC for over 25 years at that point - she just said nothing - its nice to hear Sidetrack that some do make an effort - I always tried
    rupert and timattalon like this.

As a private citizen talking to a Public Servant you can always try the line " I am tiring of your inability to do your job and as your employer may have to lodge a formal complaint proceeding"

Always gets a change of facial expression, even if nothing else...

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I posted earlier to use wams maps (Walking Access Maps ) to be more specific -choose the map entitled land information- and then choose the aerial photo with titles -the faint red lines are land parcel boundary's - now don't be surprised if you see sometimes a bit of cleared or semi clear land or maybe 50 hectares or more outside of private land owner boundary - yes its likely DOC land but although you have the legal right to hunt it if you have permit for DOC land adjacent - the land owner farming it may not have the same view -used to give us all sorts of grief - usually they will have a grazing concession ( not a lease ) and it will state although they have the legal right to graze it any hunter with a permit can hunt it - they have a grazing right only - again they will argue fuck of so permission/ personal visit is always better
    308 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    A lot of govt depts, companies etc will not give out contact details of staff, etc due to the privacy act. Usually the best option is to ask for them to pass on your contact details to the other person

Quote Originally Posted by Billbob View Post
    Why don't Doc start a system like the onX app like they use in USA. I understand that has the ability to contact land owners to retrieve game that's crossed a boundary or to get access through private land. People on here would have used this while over there?
    Isn’t there an article in NZ Hunter about an app like that starting up ? I’ll have a look when I get home and put up a link .
    CamD and Billbob like this.
    Pack out heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I posted earlier to use wams maps (Walking Access Maps ) to be more specific -choose the map entitled land information- and then choose the aerial photo with titles -the faint red lines are land parcel boundary's - now don't be surprised if you see sometimes a bit of cleared or semi clear land or maybe 50 hectares or more outside of private land owner boundary - yes its likely DOC land but although you have the legal right to hunt it if you have permit for DOC land adjacent - the land owner farming it may not have the same view -used to give us all sorts of grief - usually they will have a grazing concession ( not a lease ) and it will state although they have the legal right to graze it any hunter with a permit can hunt it - they have a grazing right only - again they will argue fuck of so permission/ personal visit is always better
    I have a grazing concession and it says in the contract that I can keep people off it from August to December. I would say that every contract is different.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
    308 likes this.

yes there are a few with that provision in them