Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: dogs chasing deer.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    But how do you define what's "your area". If it's public then he might define it as "his area" and get pissy about you being there.
    It is quite a controversial topic, but everyone's view of what is acceptable is different.
    I personally don't think it is acceptable to hunt game birds without a competent retriever, but others are quite comfortable doing so.
    it's not myn but we're I go hunting if some turned up with a PAC of dogs chasing deer each week or so I'd imagine I wouldn't be the only one to get my back up about it, not that it matters as in 20 odd years of hunting Iv only ever seen 1 bloke do it up otaki forks...thankfully miles away from here

Do people take there dogs in from the aongatete lodge access?
    I usually go in from upland road.

Aussie stalkers don't mind the doggers, they move the deer around and push them out of unstalkable places. You'll find after a drive or two deer turn up in the most amazing places. Have a photo on another hard drive of a bunch of sambar standing in the middle of a bridge just south of the Victorian town of Erica at about midday..

It might work over there, but in the kaimais it just makes them toey and harder to hunt. This guy has stuffed a few good areas and hes not well liked.
    SlowElliot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    I agree with Bonecrusher. We are both talking about the same guy. He has stuffed the hunting in most of the areas that he dogs. He is poaching and has no regard for anyone else that uses the area. As a result of that several people that i know wont hesitate to shoot his dogs if they come across them.
    Im not against useing dogs to point deer or for that matter to find them once they have been shot. There is a lot of hours put in by owners as well skill used to train a dog to do that and the deer have a fighting chance. These is no ethics or skill in what hes doing.
    Poaching? Really ?
    He may of pissed off other users of the same area, but there is no law to say he cant use dogs to get deer.
    Not saying I agree with his methods, but hey, if it is public land (doc) and he is not breaking any laws, then suck it up
    stingray and nevereadyfreddy like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

OK Pengy, How about no permit, the area he frequents you also need a permit for dogs and he uses a single barrel shotgun. If that's not poaching then i don't know what is. So its not matter of sucking it up. Ive actually talked to this guy and he dosnt care. Hes only interested in what hes doing and his attitude sucks. Thats why hes pissed of so many people in this area.
    SlowElliot likes this.

Do you KNOW he doesn't have a dg permit?
    Maybe if you presented the "facts" in the first place, people such as myself may have more sympathy
    Maybe instead of bitching about it on here, you could go to the local DOC /Plod and tell them what you know.
    Pointer likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    OK Pengy, How about no permit, the area he frequents you also need a permit for dogs and he uses a single barrel shotgun. If that's not poaching then i don't know what is. So its not matter of sucking it up. Ive actually talked to this guy and he dosnt care. Hes only interested in what hes doing and his attitude sucks. Thats why hes pissed of so many people in this area.
    He,s probably got a failed pack of pig dogs that just turned into deer chasing mutts ..be interesting to no how many deer he actually gets let alone what condition they are in if he catches up to any I just can not see how its more beneficial to have dogs randomly chasing deer in any which way the deer chooses to run as opposed to stalking with or without a dog or glassing areas ..I swore many years ago I would never hunt without a dog pigs or deer as even my most trusted pig dogs where good on deer id take 1..there little ears would drop followed by a guilty look or a tail would get tucked in between there legs sometimes they would stand behind me when a deer was close which was pretty humorous at times looking a a boof head go all shy , when on the back of the truck the young dogs would be winding like there is a mob of pigs just of the track but the main dogs would take a step back or wind & not jump , dogs go hand in hand with hunting but a pac of mutts chasing deer around the nz bush is stupid on plenty of levels just because it mite not be illegal it doesn't make it rite , look at what happened to our poor kakapo , its not like in England or the high lands of Scotland with stag hounds or lurcher,s basically covering open ground & etched in tradition i have Scottish brothers we shear the black face together drink the dram , people left that place to escape the shite that go,s with it...over here we just open up a tin of whip ass for dick heads .
    SlowElliot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    just because it mite not be illegal it doesn't make it rite .
    I couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Do you KNOW he doesn't have a dg permit?
    Maybe if you presented the "facts" in the first place, people such as myself may have more sympathy
    Maybe instead of bitching about it on here, you could go to the local DOC /Plod and tell them what you know.
    Pengy 1st point is only certain types of firearms can be taken onto DOC land.
    A 22 and a shotgun aren't included on that list so I doubt he has a dog permit or hunting permit either.
    I've yet to run into this individual quite surprising considering the amount of time I spend up there.

What is the difference between a pigdog in the bush and a indicator dog, it's the smell of the dog that alarms the deer even if the dog doesn't give chase.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    There's not really a lot of difference between a pack of dogs hunting pigs to a pack of dogs hunting deer. There are a heap of pig dogs chasing the hell out of anything they come across in the bush for not much pork getting caught. That appears to be acceptable. There's also a suggestion that dogs which chase deer are more likely to be unruly and more likely to kill everything they come across. Not necessarily the case.
    The bro's around the Bay of Plenty have been dogging deer to put food on the table for years and no one seems to go over there jumping up and down about it.
    Even been on "Hunting" programs on TV.
    Pointer and nevereadyfreddy like this.