Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: East Kaweka Helicopters closing down

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    Helisika prices into the northern Kaweka areas are actually pretty good, but the further south you go the less affordable they get (compared to EKH) hopefully Midwest will start flying from Taihape & will be more affordable in the southern Kawekas.
    Have to disagree, fid some maths yesterday...the key is EKH charged per person and if you were flying on your own that was the price, not a per load.....2 guys to say Manson with Helisika is 900 each, Chris was like 500.....tell me that's reasonably priced.....

Forgive me if that's not the correct maths, but there is a significant difference between them...Helisika gets cheaper if you fly with 3 but still not ad cheap as EKH

Great loss, bring on another operator so I don't have to use HELISIKA

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    ANTSMAN, 7mmwsm, GWH and 4 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

We flew with Chris into Tussock a few days before your veni tops trip a month ago, we paid $490 each so between 3 of us we paid $1470

Helisika would have been $1180 + 3x landing fees $144.90 = $1324.90
    They also give you a 10% discount if you are a NZDA or Sika foundation member which i am both, and offer the same 10% discount if you are flying within 12 months of your last flight with them so it would have been $1192.41 which clearly with or without a discount is not to bad.

Chris charges per person including landing fees - Helisika per load + landing fees $48.30
    Interestingly EKH landing fees are $100 vs helisikas $48.30

We currently have 3 more trips booked with EKH which we will obviously need to find a new heli operator for.....
    Tussock again is one so we will be looking at Helisika for that & Manson is another and we will be looking at either Midwest or Hawkes bay helicopters for that one (agree Manson via helisika is expensive)

Yes gutted to say the least.
    Just flew out of mansion with Chris.
    The most outstanding thing with Chris was the service and knowledge, often flying us around areas with a look for hunting when we flew into a new but we hadn't been to before.
    Throw in on to of that the cheaper prices. Would have happily paid more to keep him going but talking to him it was a multitude of things adding up.
    Wish him all the best for the future and hope to see him on nz hunter a few more times at least.
    GWH and Sika 8 like this.

Hopefully Phil Janssen steps up and starts flying from Rangitaikei. He is a very experienced and reasonable priced pilot and operator.
    Hunteast and Sika 8 like this.

We flew with Chris into Tussock a few days before your veni tops trip a month ago, we paid $490 each so between 3 of us we paid $1470

Helisika would have been $1180 + 3x landing fees $144.90 = $1324.90
    They also give you a 10% discount if you are a NZDA or Sika foundation member which i am both, and offer the same 10% discount if you are flying within 12 months of your last flight with them so it would have been $1192.41 which clearly with or without a discount is not to bad.

Chris charges per person including landing fees - Helisika per load + landing fees $48.30
    Interestingly EKH landing fees are $100 vs helisikas $48.30

We currently have 3 more trips booked with EKH which we will obviously need to find a new heli operator for.....
    Tussock again is one so we will be looking at Helisika for that & Manson is another and we will be looking at either Midwest or Hawkes bay helicopters for that one (agree Manson via helisika is expensive)
    Just out of interest did you take note of your total weight and if you would fit into Helisika 500 weight limit that will catch some people out for sure and change by maths

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Yep we were sub 400kg and would have easily fitted into 1 load in the 500 & also saved a few dollars, but like everyone else it's not all about the money for us & we choose to fly with EKH.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Crosse / EKH, haven't flown with anyone else into the Kawekas & also not the biggest Helisika fan, but at this point in time i would ride with the devil to get back in there...
    Shearer likes this.

Yep we were sub 400kg and would have easily fitted into 1 load in the 500 & also saved a few dollars, but like everyone else it's not all about the money for us & we choose to fly with EKH.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Crosse / EKH, haven't flown with anyone else into the Kawekas & also not the biggest Helisika fan, but at this point in time i would ride with the devil to get back in there...
    Our load with 3 guys, not excessive gear and no dogs with Chris was 434...1 kg under...if that was Helisika it would have been 2 loads in 500 as they have a 370kg pay load or step up to the bigger bird....boom no longer cheaper....

I weight in at 95 to 100kg, dog is 25 to 30kg so you get fuck all allowance for food and gear if 2 of you are going to fly so all of a sudeen it's way more expensive hands down....

Anyways, we won't solve this , but I can assure you I won't fly Helisika where I can avoid it

Hamish

ANTSMAN, 7mmwsm and BRADS like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

400kg for HS. They're all expensive. I've always wanted to use Chris. He seems like a an awesome guy. It's just never worked for anywhere I wanted to go. Sad. We always use the squirrel any way to take whatever we want. Got sick of skimping stressing and weighing. Instead we leave what we want in the car and at times have had a top up after 7 days or so.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I wonder if Chris is giving up flying or going to fly elsewhere? Bit of a shame as he has a good reputation.
    No not flying, he's given up and enjoying retirement.
    Apparently was planned for a while.
    Flying a gyro copter for a hobby.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    No not flying, he's given up and enjoying retirement.
    Apparently was planned for a while.
    Flying a gyro copter for a hobby.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Good, I wish him all the best and a long and happy retirement
    Micky Duck, hebe and BSA270 like this.

A great loss to the hunting community, hopefully someone can vill the void he will leave.
    HNTMAD and BSA270 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Like most posts here,I was saddened to hear the news.Did a trip in 2017 into the Kawekas using Chris and was hoping to return using his services but the flight bans from 2020 knocked that on the head.A lovely fella and I'm sure most will agree.I,m planning to return next year for a sika hunt in the roar so I'm just going to have to suck it up and use another operator.