Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Envy

US
    Gun = Fill out P/W (Form 4473). Dealer calls FBI to make sure your OK (Felons, wife beater, dishonorably discharged from military, mental defective, outstanding arrest warrant... can't get a gun), go home with gun in 20 minutes or so. Some states don't allow certain semi auto rifles/handguns (I don't live in those states). Some states make you wait 3-15 days for a handgun (I don't live in those states). If you have a concealed carry permit - it is cash and carry with the gun (again some states like New Jersey and Illinois still make you wait - I think).
    Private sales can happen in about 70% of the states. 1 individual can sell another individual a gun without doing P/W or calling the FBI. I live in a state that allows me to sell a non machine gun or non suppressor to a neighbor/friend or Joe Blow that answers my ad in the newspaper. 2 days ago I purchased a Colt Light Rifle in 7 RM, from a gentleman that only knew my first name and I only knew his first name. This type of transaction can lead to bad things or not lead to bad things. I would hope that most sellers get a feel for the person they are doing business with. I have had a questionable buyer want to buy a revolver from me and I refused to sell it to him. I had the feeling he was going to use it in a criminal manner.

Suppressors, short barreled rifles (under 50cm barrel), machine guns and some short barreled shotguns require local law enforcement signature, fingerprints, mug shot, $200 tax stamp and some other stuff. You can establish a trust to get around the law enforcement signature. I think short barreled shotguns are only a $5 tax stamp and there are some other minor hassles. This usually takes 4-7 months. Suppressors can be manufactured and sold. Machine guns had to have been made prior to 1986 and must have been on a Form 4 prior to that date. I don't know that much about the short barreled requirements other than they can be of current manufacture.
    Because there is a growing demand for private ownership of machine guns, and a limited supply, the prices continue to rise. A friend purchased a M2HB (50 BMG belt fed) in 1988 for $5000. Today it is worth $40,000 - a hellova investment!!

I remember handguns were a no-no in 1992 when I visited Christchurch. I guess now semi auto (military style) rifles are also on that list.

Even if I jump through the hoops to get a suppressor, I can't hunt with it. I think local Game and Fish Authorities will think folks are out poaching game at night and in the off season.
    veitnamcam, 308 and Scouser like this.

He are some pictures :

Name:  IMG_1117_1.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1594.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  1.05 MB

Name:  Pigs .jpg
Views: 403
Size:  424.9 KB

Seems I can't post p[ix from my photobucket acct. I'll try to figure something out.
    P38, veitnamcam, gadgetman and 6 others like this.

We can quite easily own handguns with the correct endorsements on our license. Such endorsements are not all that difficult to get, just paperwork, bit of money and time.

Semi autos are perfectly fine on a standard A category license, but have stock style and magazine capacity limitations. If you want to step outside those rules, you can get a license to own high capacity mags and pistol grips say on a AR or AK. Common for comp shooters and pest controllers to do this. Most of my firearms are semi-auto.

At the moment our gun laws aren't too restrictive to the average person wanting to use a firearms for a reasonable purpose-hunting/target/competition/collection/etc. But there's always pressure from the do-gooder/anti-gun brigade to change/tighten up gun laws here. Currently we have some good people doing lobbying work on our behalf, and so far our regulations seem to working ok.

As for suppressors, they're very common here and there are many manufacturers, supplying NZ and overseas markets. They're a bloody good thing really - hence why they are popular. We don't have the same rules/regulations you guys have in respect to hunting. We are extremely fortunate to have no real regulations on hunting big game here in NZ - plus we have many hectares of public land holding sustainable numbers of deer/pigs/chamois/tahr/goats which we can hunt at our freewill etc - therefore suppressors don't need to be regulated on the grounds for poaching. We do have seasons for game birds, but that's really all.
    mikee and 308 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    We can quite easily own handguns with the correct endorsements on our license. Such endorsements are not all that difficult to get, just paperwork, bit of money and time.
    But can only be used on an approved range, so no hunting or plinking in your back yard. And you must use the range x amount of times per year to keep that endorsement.
    If you could hunt with them I would put the effort into getting the endorsement.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    But can only be used on an approved range, so no hunting or plinking in your back yard. And you must use the range x amount of times per year to keep that endorsement.
    If you could hunt with them I would put the effort into getting the endorsement.
    Also not that easy to to get endorsed.
    3 phases of approval need to be met and then there is the 6 month probation period and maintaining attendance.

I know that people that have been refused at club level. Then you have police and Pnz (if you go thru them)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Far from a 'no-no' tho, what I was getting at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I think without hunting regs here, we would wipe out 90% of the game population in 5 years. Kinda what happened to the bison 100 years ago. Too many people - not enough critters. City folk would kill for the sake of killing, thinking there was no end to it. Again, kinda like 100 years ago with the bison.

I have a trip planned for Jan 2019. I would really like to kill something using a "can" (suppressor). Looks like I may have to find a guide or friend to rent a rifle to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboybart View Post
    I think without hunting regs here, we would wipe out 90% of the game population in 5 years. Kinda what happened to the bison 100 years ago. Too many people - not enough critters. City folk would kill for the sake of killing, thinking there was no end to it. Again, kinda like 100 years ago with the bison.

I have a trip planned for Jan 2019. I would really like to kill something using a "can" (suppressor). Looks like I may have to find a guide or friend to rent a rifle to me!!
    Our govt tries its best to wipe out our game animals with poisons here but yet there is still animals to hunt.
    Stick around and make some freinds here and I am sure someone will take you for a hunt, maybe a swap hunt?
    JoshC likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboybart View Post

just remember that unless you are shooting subsonic loads you still get the "crack" from the projectile when it breaks the sound barrier.

SiB
    A trip to NZ? Keep chatting here in the meantime there may well be opportunities via here.

You realise also that whilst quite a few of us use suppressors, we run the normal high velocity type ammo? There are some real sub sonic centre fire affacianados here however......

Even if I jump through the hoops to get a suppressor, I can't hunt with it. I think local Game and Fish Authorities will think folks are out poaching game at night and in the off season.[/QUOTE]

If you live in Wyoming you can absolutely hunt with a suppressor. You can hunt anything from foxes all the way up to a moose with a suppressor. As long as you have the paperwork to rightfully own a suppressor you won't have any problems whatsoever. Game and Fish can't do anything about it.
    jakewire and Scouser like this.

This is news to me. I haven't thoroughly read the regs in 6 years of so, but I seem to remember that you couldn't. Maybe I'm confused or something recently changed, either way - Good to Know Info!!

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Also not that easy to to get endorsed.
    3 phases of approval need to be met and then there is the 6 month probation period and maintaining attendance.

I know that people that have been refused at club level. Then you have police and Pnz (if you go thru them)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As long as your not an idiot or dangerous getting a B cat is easy. I found the whole process very easy and there certainly was no trouble having the club verify I was safe and sane. The local arms officer was extremely helpful and on board.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Our govt tries its best to wipe out our game animals with poisons...
    That sentence must read as totally insane to a non-NZer, and that's because it is!
    veitnamcam and oneshot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    That sentence must read as totally insane to a non-NZer, and that's because it is!
    Ah! but there are those ( in government ) who are hell bent on just that..believe what you like.