Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Is it even worth planning a tahr trip?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Ya know, I am just a PM away. However don't bother at the moment, I am really over it.
    After the last couple weeks I have become somewhat embarrassed of the hunting community.
    The majority cant see it for the trees but they're carrying on just like and sometimes worse than the antis we all despise. No different in fact whether it be them attacking any of our rights to hunting or owning firearms. Have a look from the other side for a change.

Threats made to operators because they're doing a job we don't like. Real smart. Everyone that has made a death threat is no longer fit and proper to have a FA licence imo. Hope the cops come knocking you idiots.

We all hate it yes, but is it the right way to go about things?
    I have no skin in the game regarding alpine helicopters. I just know the operators reasonably well. They're imo, good people. They either did 4 or or 5 hours or they didn't. I was obviously miss informed if they did, but they have pulled out now for whatever reason and that's their choice and a good thing?
    The way they're still being attacked is embarrassing.
    Unsubstantiated accusations and hearsay is just fake news.
    I know some concrete numbers and to be fair they're not going to impact the herd detrimentally imo, at all. A lot of damage has already been done to the herd over the last 10yrs if you ask me.

We are just going to have to adapt and learn a bit more to be successful.
    So all the cry babies keep whinging and bitching and believing everything they read on facebook and keep channeling your anger where it won't make any difference.

Last post I will make on the issue.
    If it is possible I have decided to just try and enjoy my hunting with some cool people from all over the world and all walks of life.
    I will also use any operator I choose to access that hunting because I value safety, excellent service and knowledge more than I do proving a point and throwing a fucking tanty.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    @R93 I generally agree with most of that

My one and only post on this is that I cut my teeth hunting in the 80s and the numbers were extremely low.
    Just seeing a tahr was a big deal
    Actually shooting a bull of any size was a massive in camp and long after the hunt
    Red deer were very scarce and it took multiple trips to even see one in the Canterbury high country.

Currently hunting in NZ on public land is the best it has been since the 80s
    Deer numbers are very high in the areas I hunt in the South Island
    Tahr numbers have been going up consistently especially in the last 20 years that I have hunted them reasonably often.

So maybe step away from the keyboard and just go hunting and shoot a few animals
    Go enjoy the wonderful Public Conservation Estate where access and animals are mostly free
    Sure it's not being managed as a trophy estate but there is a hell of a lot of it to explore
    Since when was an easy hunt fun
    Go do something ambitious and learn the craft of hunting
    The tahr are evolving and in some unusual places and some bulls will still die of old age

Make an effort
    I shot my best bull ever within 3 hours climb of the most heavily used hut in the no fly zone of South Westland
    The message in that is that even in one of the most heavily hunted recreational hunting areas of the tahr range, there are ( 2009 ) still world class trophies.
    And I fully expect there still will be animals of that age and size around the fringes

When the dust settles make those plans to go hunting, go multiple times, learn the craft and good luck in taking that representative bull tahr trophy
    R93 and hunterAT like this.

Well said need to stand together and be a force no key board warriors are needed.
    We are in for some challenging times ahead in
    All aspects of our hunting and gun ownership
    R93 likes this.