Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Ever had an animal resurrect?

I got to post this one up, from Northwinds, Alberta outdoors,

many years ago a neighbor kid stopped in on his motor bike. His eyes wide, so bloody excited that he spoke gibberish. Finally I got the drift, he was driving down the road and a coyote made a mad dash and ended up in a culvert. John bailed off the bike, ran down in the ditch and proceeded to fire 3 rounds out of his trusty cooey 39 in the culvert end. According to this wild tale, he hit him 3 times through the heart and the coyote was dead but how would he ever be able to get him out??I laughed and went and cut a long saskatoon limb and took a roll of barbwire along. We went back to the culvert got all my stuff out and peered into the open end, sure as heck here's a coyote laying on his stomach facing away from us. John still hadn't figure out what was going to happen.
    Rigged up about 20 feet of double barbwire and tied on the end of the pole and in it went. Pushed it in as far as it could go, then twisted it several times till the wire wrapped up in the coyotes fur. Man, I was starting to look like a hero to a 14 year old kid. As I gave this thing a tug it became very apparent this damn thing was still alive. I told the kid what I thought was going on and that he better get his trusty 22 cause this thing was going to be needing a finisher. Gave a big yank and out came the maddest coyote I have ever seen. It might have been a brilliant plan to get a coyote out of a culvert but I didn't plan on having a live one on the end of a stick. Biggest issue was the wire was longer than the pole and it didn't matter as long as i had a hold of that pole that coyote could reach the dog handler.I hollered shoot and John did and the proceeded to miss the fatally heart shot coyote that I had a hold of. The coyote spun around and figured out who had the tiger by the tail and came running towards me at the same time I heard a cooey being cocked. I took off running shouting don't shoot don't shoot and the coyote right on my tail.Well john didn't shoot, kudos's to him, the coyote and I ran neck to neck until I figured out let go of the stick dummy. He veered off into the crop, never to be seen again. John, while terribly disappointed in losing his first coyote, was rolling on the ground laughing about the old guy racing a coyote. The coyote appeared to be healthy and hadn't been shot anywhere. And the old fat guy, well he was just happy the coyote never chewed on him, the kid never shot him and he never had a heart attack doing the itty bitty track meet in the barley field.

When I was about 10 we were shooting ducks on a pond up in the Mamaku. I was too young to shoot and spent the time talking when I shouldn’t and generally annoying the shit out of my Dad. Getting bored I picked up a drake he had shot and the dog retrieved about an hour earlier. It was lying on a pile in the back of the maimai. “ wonder if it has a band” I said swinging it by one leg. That’s when it decided it wasn’t dead and flew out of my grip and straight out of the maimai. Dad was stunned. It took him a while to grab his gun. The drake struggled to gain altitude and limped across the water like a shot up bomber. Finally Dad bought the SKB to bear as the duck passed over the shore and was about 5 foot off the ground heading away. That’s when Sadie our trusty lab got right up it’s arse, running along just beneath it trying to grab it out of the sky. They were like that as they crested a rise heading away from us. Sadie too close for Dad to shoot. She came back about 10 minutes later looking pretty knackered. I hope he lived long and told many other ducks about that getaway.

I was on a trip with a couple of other guys in Marlborough. While walking through the bottom of a valley, we spied ourselves a nice looking stag at about 100m. The fellow with me lines up and fires an easy shot. Deer goes up and over backwards winding up on his back with his feet in the air. and antlers in the ground.....Everyone is shaking hands and about to walk across to the deer when it up and walks away into the bush.........(It definitely did not run so was feeling 'poorly') after spending a couple hours searching and finding nothing apart from a few drops of blood, we knew we were beat. The land owner who was with us suggested for the afternoon hunt that we start at the top of the same valley and work our way down and see if we can find it from there. We get to the top of the ridge and as we approach I see another stag stand up rather slowly. The others were not quite ready so I put a 303 through it and it drops like a sack of spuds, into a heap. We get over to it and it has a couple of holes; One through the neck and out the other side (Penciled straight through) and a entry only wound in the centre of the chest (Front on). Nw I knew I had not hit the neck as I did not have a fancy JFK rifle that could change direction mid flight... Turns out it was the same animal and it had made it a long way up that steep hill with a hole in its neck.....Taught me to carry my 303 now nicknamed 'the hammer' as everything I have dropped with it has literally dropped where it was when it was hit....I use a 215gr Woodleigh RN at about 2100fps....Yup , I'm loaded for bear......
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

My boy and his mate were walking out along a track that has the odd tourist on it... he has a chamois draped over his shoulders. One of them asks him "will it be alright ?", he replies yes "we are taking it to the vet right now"... He reckons they smelt a rat when they saw it was gutted !
    timattalon and Pixie Z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    My boy and his mate were walking out along a track that has the odd tourist on it... he has a chamois draped over his shoulders. One of them asks him "will it be alright ?", he replies yes "we are taking it to the vet right now"... He reckons they smelt a rat when they saw it was gutted !
    I think the better answer to "will it be alright ?" would have been "with a bit of Garlic, gravy and potato, it will be better than alright....it will be great."
    dannyb likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......