Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Female hunters

Female hunters

Is it just me? Or does there seem to be many more young female hunters posting pics of deer/stags they've taken this roar on FB etc? I haven't seen as many before and think it's great. Is it that more are hunting, or do they feel more secure in admitting they are hunters? Whatever it is, it's a great trend....

I've been teaching a female friend of mine how to hunt. And I've got to say, it's a different experience to hunting with inexperienced young men. She listens to what you say and instinctively does it. Is a bloody good shot already, and confident to take a shot. Also; there is no testosterone-fuelled "I'm already a good hunter" attitude after one hunt

My friend with her second ever goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65WkFb9gbUM
    Last edited by bumblefoot; 03-04-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Noticed alot more girlfriends of hunters getting stags then every before, in my mind abit of a difference between female hunters and some of the ones you see getting posted on Facebook but either way good to see more
    getting into the outdoors and taking animals
    veitnamcam and bumblefoot like this.

I reckon that "Hunting with Tui" was good like that. Humble, wouldn't take a shot if she wasn't comfortable, was willing to learn and really concentrating on the "providing kai for the family" aspect.

I think this is a very good thing for our sport. To have women involved in hunting, target shooting or any other shooting arena gives our sport depth and a boarder base.
    It shows the sport has a board cross section of Kiwi's active in some form of the sport and gives us a bigger and more balanced look and voice.
    I hope the trend continues .
    veitnamcam, Gibo, Mooseman and 6 others like this.

yes hunting with Tui helped,she not the first though...the Topp Twins had Lady Hunter a few years back...Fiona Duley shows the men folk up,she pretty darn good on the siks in tight scrub.
    there has always been a few ladies out hunting,I think its the whole connectedness of internet that has put it out there and made it more of an OK thing to do,so more are giving it a go.
    met two young lasses up looking for wallabies a month or two back,both wouldve been 20ish,lovely polite ladies,was more than happy to stop and chap,hopefully they get animal ortwo after a few pointers....my mate was struck silent by thier presence LOL.
    Padox, Ned, yeah_na_missed and 1 others like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes hunting with Tui helped,she not the first though...the Topp Twins had Lady Hunter a few years back...Fiona Duley shows the men folk up,she pretty darn good on the siks in tight scrub.
    there has always been a few ladies out hunting,I think its the whole connectedness of internet that has put it out there and made it more of an OK thing to do,so more are giving it a go.
    met two young lasses up looking for wallabies a month or two back,both wouldve been 20ish,lovely polite ladies,was more than happy to stop and chap,hopefully they get animal ortwo after a few pointers....my mate was struck silent by thier presence LOL.
    Haha! were they still carrying their blow up couch about?

I'm not being patronising; I reckon it's great. It was simply an observation.....
    Moa Hunter and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Why is everyone so patronising about female hunters?
    They are people and they hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I'm not being patronising; I reckon it's great. It was simply an observation.....
    I think he was more making the observation that more and more female's hunting os being posted on social media.
    I think it is great....shows us as not just a bunch of bloodthirsty killing cavemen to the city folk.
    And those Females hunting will have 8 million facebook freinds or some such number who see it and it helps normalise it.
    You have to remember we are a minority group tolerated by some and hated with a vengange by many.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

@veitnamcam Yup; that's exactly what I was trying to get across...
    veitnamcam likes this.

MB
    It's all good, BUT in today's social media-driven world, it's all about clicks. Who doesn't click a thumbnail of a hot girl holding a gun?! I think that's why we're seeing more women "represented" in the sport.

Walking my rifle
    My wife says hunting is boring, maybe i need to find her a lady friend that hunts
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

MB
    My Mrs is keen to come with me as long as I don't shoot anything. My reply was no problem!
    JessicaChen and Moa Hunter like this.

On average I think women tend to be a little more cautious about social image. Might feel more afraid about getting backlash by peers by posting a picture of themselves smiling with a dead animal on social media. Their friends might get a bit nasty and emotional about it. It happens. Also I believe women are just less likely to be interested in hunting, shooting, and butchery by default. Just like they are less likely to be interested in engineering compared to nursing. However outliers do exist, and on top of that nurture can overcome nature.

Banned
    From observation I dont think that hunting is instinctive in women in the way that it is in men. Men instinctively want to hunt, provide and protect. Women nurture and care. These are base instincts and we should embrace and accept them but at the same time as men, enjoy the times when women want to come hunting. Not meaning this as sexist or sexually divisive just my own thoughts on our base instincts. I admire the men who take their young daughters hunting as even if those girls dont become hunters, it must make for a better more accepting adult and more than likely easy going wife and mother who can enjoy camping and hunting / fishing adventures as an adult.
    All power and assistance to any women who want to hunt !

our daughter let me know yesterday she coming home to watch me poke holes in the sky all around the ducks again this opening weekend. love having her company,she not into the shooting,just loves being out n about with us,gets stuck in and helps with all the messy bits too. hmmm have got my wee .410 back again...maybe just maybe I can get her hooked shooting woundies from boat??? it sure has hooked a few others.