Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: A few photos from a recent hunt.

Huge numbers of them up there, need to be culled really. DOC technically requires a small game permit for them to be hunted on conservation land. You would think they would make it as easy as possible to get rid of them by having it as part of the regular permit. Doubt anyone actually cares though

I checked my 308 out last wednesday morning on a noisy goose at 300yds.Never squawked again.About 40 lifted on the river bed.
    Carbine, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

I fried up a goose egg back on the farm when I was young. Never again, if you're ever tempted guys, just don't do it.

NEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I fried up a goose egg back on the farm when I was young. Never again, if you're ever tempted guys, just don't do it.
    Geese is a protected bird, right? But, once is a lifetime to eat one is acceptable. I like eat Geese, especially the German way in cold winter.
    Lone Hunter

NEO
    Nice photo. iphone or sony? Any good fish down there? I always like this sort of places, wish someday could have a chance of building a wood house to live.
    Lone Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by NEO View Post
    Geese is a protected bird, right? But, once is a lifetime to eat one is acceptable. I like eat Geese, especially the German way in cold winter.
    Canada geese are not protected

"Canada geese were introduced as a game bird into New Zealand in 1905. They were protected under the Wildlife Act of
    1953 and the population was managed by Fish and Game New Zealand who culled excessive bird numbers. ... In 2011
    the government removed the protection status allowing anyone to kill the birds"

from fish and game

"1/ Canada geese have been moved from the First Schedule (wildlife declared to be game) of
    the Wildlife Act 1953 to the Fifth Schedule (wildlife not protected). This now means Canada
    geese have the same status as blackbirds, rock pigeons and sparrows.
    2/ Canada geese have not been legally classified as ‘pests’. To be classified as a pest legally
    this must be passed under the Noxious Animals Act, or passed by your local regional council
    as part of their “pest management strategy”. To the best of my knowledge no regional
    council has as yet classified Canada geese as a pest (watch this space). Please note,
    however, that both Federated Farmers and media frequently use the term ‘pest’ to highlight
    the point or ingrain an ideology.
    3/ As a result of the new status of Canada geese, Fish & Game NZ has no authority to utilise
    licence holders’ funds or resources to assist with any future management or control of this
    species. However, all Fish & Game regions have agreed to assist with expertise regarding
    culls or management with relation to aviation threats (bird-strike issues), should assistance
    be sought.
    4/ As a result of the new status (wildlife not protected), Canada geese may be hunted any
    time utilising any method – with the exception of poisoning (the Minister of Conservation
    ruled poisoning out as the risk of by-kill of other protected species was too great). This
    means you may now shoot Canada geese with rifles, shotguns, bows etc, from motorised
    boats or helicopters, on the ground, on the water or in the air, and during the moult – no
    limits and any time during the day or night.
    5/ Shotguns: You may now kill Canada geese with whatever ammunition you like (i.e. lead
    shot). As Canada geese are no longer game birds, the rules associated with Fish & Game no
    longer apply. However, please note that should you be hunting Canada geese while also
    shooting other waterfowl game (e.g. mallards, swans) lead shot would not be permissible as
    it is an offence to be in possession of lead shot while waterfowl hunting over water. If you
    even have a single duck caller or a couple of duck decoys while in possession of lead shot in
    this situation it is enough for prosecution. Fish & Game rangers will issue an offence notice
    and seize firearms and ammunition etc should this offence be detected. If you are clearly
    hunting Canada geese only, evidenced by decoys, goose flute etc., and have lead shot during
    the game bird hunting season this is legal. You will, however, be thoroughly scrutinised and
    questioned by a ranger. This is obviously a tricky area for compliance and hunters alike.
    Simply put, during the normal game bird hunting season it is advisable that you just use
    non-toxic shot!
    6/ You may hunt Canada geese on any land/water – private or public. However, normal
    permissions are required for private land. For public water bodies (lakes, rivers,
    estuaries),you may hunt whenever you like and may not need permission*. Please note that
    any hunting on Department of Conservation (DOC) managed estate requires a ‘permit’ to
    take a firearm onto it. Consequently, for those wetlands, lakes and lands managed by DOC
    you will need a permit to hunt Canada geese. It is unclear what DOC’s stance is currently as
    some regions have authorised hunting and some do not. There are also many public
    wetlands that are managed by Fish & Game (appointment to control and manage or owned)
    that you are not able to hunt outside the normal game bird season. At NO time are you able
    to hunt a Wildlife Refuge regardless of a bird’s status. Also, check if permission is required
    for local body and territorial authority lands. Essentially, if you are granted permission to
    hunt on public land/water there are no issues.
    7/ Regardless of permissions or localities, the overriding piece of legislation you must abide
    by is the requirements of the Arms Act 1983 -- the seven rules of firearm safety and for no
    person to be frightened, threatened or intimidated by your actions.
     Post script Should you be thinking of hunting Canada geese, the stigma attached to
    your hunting ethics will associate you to legal game bird hunting as well. As hunters
    we need to be aware that the public and lobby groups are watching our actions and
    will be quick to judge us.
     Hunting Canada geese during the waterfowl breeding season (normally August–
    November) may disturb nesting birds, and any hunting during April will affect the
    upcoming opening weekend and following weeks of the game bird hunting season.
    Please bear this in mind have due consideration for fellow hunters."
    Sideshow likes this.

Good to see you can now use lead ammo on Canuck Geese again nice notes there @Carbine will give yyou guys the extended range and better knockdown power etc.
    But yes I'd stick with the no-tox during the season to save the heassel of a discussion.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.