Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree43Likes
  • 33 Post By superdiver
  • 7 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By yeah_na_missed
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: First chamois

First chamois

Just spent the last few days staying with a good mate of mine in Lake Hawea and he was kind enough to gather some intel for me about a catchment to hunt from another friend who was unable to come along for a walk with me. I left the car just after 9am and we decided that 5pm would be pickup time for me to be back at the road so I got on my way. The first section was about 650 vertical meters to the ridge over not a very long distance which was pretty hardcore for this north island bush hunter lol. Once up I siddled up and along until I reached the catchment spotting 2 Tahr on the way(opposite direction from each other and about 2kms from me in both directions if not more). I got to where I wanted to check and started glassing with little success but eventually my eyes caught a chamois buck cutting across the top of a gutter then sitting up on an outcrop 400yds away. Unfortunately my chosen glassing spot was no good for shooting up there due to the steep angle so I tried to sneak up higher and set up on another rock but when I had done that the chamois was nowhere to be seen and I assumed I had blown it but I continued to glass to no avail. Eventually I decided I needed to get back to the car as it would take me a few hrs even on the downhill but no more than 100m down the creek I looked up to see my chamois Watching me! The cheeky bugger had obviously sat down for a rest and when I started walking away I must have caught his attention. With very few shooting options available i got the rifle ontop of a high rock and set myself up to shoot. The borrowed 708 let rip and the chamois dropped. Lucky my friend is meticulous with his reloading and testing as this allowed me to have the utmost confidence in his gear. By 3:30 the chammy was chopped up and in my pack but now I really had to race back to the car, lucky there was a spot of reception and I managed to push back my chauffeur to 5:30 which I was 10 minutes late for even after doing a bit of jogging lol. Was great to be met by a mate with 2 paracetamol and a cold beer to help numb my poor knees haha. In the end the chammy went 7.5" so not a trophy but you have to start somewhere!
    Name:  Screenshot_20230524_191444_Gallery.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  607.3 KBName:  20230525_145229.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  2.61 MB[/ATTACH]
    Name:  20230524_150747.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  5.96 MB
    Name:  20230524_152347.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  5.43 MB
    madjon_, Dreamer, johnd and 30 others like this.

that IS A TROPHY and do not let anyone tell you otherwise..... you wont ever forget that one and the humble chammy is a wonderful animal. I like the meat stirfried in small chunks and the steaks although small are not too bad either.
    cleaned up the skulls sit nicely on windowsill,mantle piece or rail in the shed
    may that be the first of many,good on you for getting up and going and getting one.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

A good result after you put in the effort well done!

Hasn't anyone told you size doesn't matter? That is an awesome yarn! Feckin impressive to achieve that within office hours, even if you did work a bit of overtime. As MD says no matter what size you ever end up getting, I'll bet that will still have pride of place as #1. Good shit!

(That selfie's a fuckin' ripper too!!)
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    bunji likes this.

Nice chami head there,good effort.Nice photos n story.

Top notch!!!

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Great report and result. If I had a dollar for the number of times I've heard "the chamois found me" I'd be rich! Cheers
    Micky Duck likes this.

good on ya well earned ya will remember that one

Well done, put in the effort and got yourself a trophy you'll never forget.