Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: First gun

What are .243's like?

Look up the 243s useless thread....
    Theyre not useless.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Pearson View Post
    What are .243's like?
    Despite what many will tell you it is a good calibre
    Dylan Pearson likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

deerhuntergatherer
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    So a Savage is too cheap and a Tikka is too ugly but you're suggesting a Howa? Funniest thing I've heard all day!
    Good banter regardless
    GravelBen likes this.

You didn't just bring the village people into it!!

That cuts deep.

One of the most important factors for me when looking at rifles is the trigger, every rifle you shoulder you should give it a dry fire while trying to hold aim on something safe.

Calibre wise I think you can't go wrong with the .308. Plenty of punch, plenty of range, plenty available at a good price. Sure lots of other calibres are better in different areas but the .308 is just an awesome all rounder.

Most rifles come with a fully adjustable trigger these days. And from factory they will be set heavy. 30bucks at your local smiths will make MOST triggers alot better than off the shelf.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Pearson View Post
    What are .243's like?
    If you haven't figured it out yet mate people just tell you what they like and the only people who are wrong are the ones who run down what others said.
    Personally I think anything would work great but my opinion would be to go with either a tikka t3, sako A7, howa 1500 or an underrated gun in my books the marlin XS7.
    Caliber - really its just what takes your fancy. Personally given the game you're chasing and the fact that you're new to big game hunting I would err on the side of caution and get something bigger (not monstorous). Now 223, 22-250 and 243 will do the job well if you put in a good shot but if you don't you'll end up losing a lot more deer. Go with a 30-06, 300wsm or even a 7wsm and you've got a bit of assurance and they definately aren't over kill. In fact in aus the 7mm is just over the legal minimum for deer.

people will tell you smaller calibres kill just as easy with correct placement and yes that's true but if you look at it like that way a .22 will do the same. I personally prefer bigger calibers because I realise as hard as I try I fuck up and won't always hit things right. And I won't cause an animal pain for the sake of an ego I.e. the argument for smaller calibres as they do the job big ones do if you hit them right everytime. I know a bloke who hunts reds with a 22-250 (illegally yes) and doesn't believe that I have only ever lost one deer. Its because when you miss hit a deer (which is inevitable for everyone including you mate) with a bigger calibre its hits so much harder and can still put it down. And its not like we're talking about 458 or 505 Gibbs here haha just a good 30 cal.

I've shot deer with a 243, 223 and 270. But there is no way id go back from my 300wm for red stags in the rut and sambar now.

Anyway mate this is just my opinion, make sure you consider your own before getting something

For a scope swarovski Z6.... Ha nah you can't go wrong with a redfield, meopta or leupold.

I'd personally just get a leupold vx-II - good scope and lifetime warranty. I have a VX-III and VX-R and theyre great especially the vxr

Ejected
    How much shooting have you actually done Dylan?

My thought's are 243 is for those that have done a fair amount and know how to use them. Even then they should pass up the marginal shots, for a first rifle I'd get a calibre that's a bit more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    How much shooting have you actually done Dylan?

My thought's are 243 is for those that have done a fair amount and know how to use them. Even then they should pass up the marginal shots, for a first rifle I'd get a calibre that's a bit more forgiving.
    +1
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I think its a balance between different types of forgiving - I know quite a few newer shooters struggle to maintain accuracy with harder kicking rifles/calibres as they don't have the experience with recoil management etc. So I'd say the best calibre for someone is one they can shoot accurately thats also big enough for the intended game. No point having something forgiving in terms of killing power if its not forgiving in terms of you being able to shoot it - a gutshot deer will run even with a superultramagnumcannonthing.
    Dylan Pearson likes this.

+1 if you looking at moving up from a .22 to something bigger surely the worst advice you can give to someone is to go out and get a cannon (ie 3006 300 mag , 338 etc. So many people are put off with recoil with big bangers that it effects there shooting badly.(esp first timers) Saying something like a 243 is better for good shooters and you should go for a cannon instead as you have more room for error is just plain dumb! Doesnt matter what you use but you should be able to shoot it well, and for a first gun surely you like to be shooting within 200m and use something you feel good with then if you inclined move up to something bigger. I find it no difference really than getting a bike licence, you certainly would be a fool in getting a 1300cc for your first bike straight away. And as a side note a 243 has plenty of room for error, havnt had one deer or animal escape yet when hit and all my shots havnt been always the best. 100 gr and fed powershok will knock most things over no prob even if slightly of target

When did a .30-06 become a cannon? It is not even classed as a magnum!
    I feel it is an ideal starting calibre, out of all calibres a .30-06, .308, 7mm-08 would be the calibres I would be considering.
    CZ Lux likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    When did a .30-06 become a cannon? It is not even classed as a magnum!
    I feel it is an ideal starting calibre, out of all calibres a .30-06, .308, 7mm-08 would be the calibres I would be considering.
    +1 on the 30-06 not being a cannon haha I've heard it all before though, my old man was the same, put me off for years I was literally too scared to try a 300wm until I was 19 and I was still hesitant and afterwards I thought is that it? So went out and got one.

As for the argument of "booting guns" I think you only ever feel it on the bench and if its on your mind as your lining up a big stag I really believe you shouldnt be taking the life of such a beautiful animal because you're heart ain't in it.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!