Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tac a1
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By cally woo

Thread: First roar advice please

cally woo

First roar advice please

Hi, bowhunter that's been sticking to goats but looking for a promotion to deer. Thought the easiest time to try would be the roar.

Just wondering where to look? Lol I know but what's different about the roar? Where should I look if using topo? Creek heads? Elevation? Terraces? Spurs? Any advice would be nice, just looking for a starting point. Thanks

Are you Bush hunting ?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

cally woo
    Sorry yes bush hunting

'Where will you be hunting?' I suppose is the first question (not exact ref points, but generally. Like 'Kaimanawa's, Pureora's etc)

Blokes might then be able to give you some more detailed advice.
    Kimber 7mm-08 likes this.

Jus
    Try to find shelves and benches, grass strips with cover along river beds, stags will take their hinds to somewhere they can hold them and chase off off other stags. Sneaking along game trails will usually take you to animals. If you hear one roaring get the wind right and cruise on in. Try not to roar too much unless you don’t have a direction on him, the less you give away your position the better. If he’s smart he will cut your wind and bolt, better he doesn’t know where you are at all

cally woo
    Thanks guys, pureora will be the target I think. Looking at piropiro

It should be a good spot if you are there at the right time. Beware of all the other hunters around .best to go during the week rather than busy weekends.
    It pays to be super early in the woods if you ear them roaring during the night .
    Try to practice your hind call, that is how I brought in a couple in close last season.
    Depending on what bow poundage you are using on your set up, I would avoid the mechanical broadheads on the three quarter forward shot which is potentially one of the most common shot angle that will present itself in a roar situation.
    I am only shooting 60 pounds, and since I lost a stag for lack of penetration with a three blades broadheads, I have moved to a heavier two blades ,single bevel with a more rigid shaft . But it might be a bit late for you to retune all your equipment for this roar of course.

And get a refil bottle of chalk for a builders chalk line. It costs $6 at Bunnings and is a great wind indicator.

Ffs be careful! The North Island has an atrocious track record when it comes to hunter v hunter shootings during the roar and I can only imagine that with the recent events leading to a severe reduction in accessible hunting areas this roar is going to be one for the books as far as the concentration of hunters in the bush in the areas that are accessible
    Nathan F and 57jl like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

cally woo
    Thanks, yeah I'm at 55 pounds and using helix single Bev. Have only had passthroughs on goats using this setup. Thanks for safety advice, I'm actually choosing piropiro for the purpose of being able to e bike a fair distance along the timber trail before starting my hunt to get away from the crowds and will be going in school holidays weekdays too just bought blaze beanie and vest too.
    Oldbloke likes this.

I’m with @ryansonghurst on this one. Only ever hunted the roar twice in 40+ years and the second time will be this April. Local balloted block and during the week, single hunter only. This is definitely not to put you off, just cautionary, and certainly don’t let paranoia ruin your hunt.You sound like you’ve got your head screwed on and doing is learning. The sound of a stag roaring at first light has to be one of the most awe inspiring sounds ever and truly worth any ounce of sweat and effort just to experience.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”