Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: First time Wapiti block ballot entry

First time Wapiti block ballot entry

Just after some advice from those who have done the wapiti block process before.

I've got a group of 4 of us from Wellington keen to apply for our first wapiti block.

I had a big chat with a good friend whose done it a few times and his advice was this, because your going all that way, just apply for the core blocks first and second period. It might take years to get one, but then you'll be going with the best chance of hearing and seeing actual bulls, not just reds and hybrids. His first experience of Fiordland was an outer block which they chopped into, which he said was still awesome, but they didn't get to see the proper bulls they were going for, which once they got a core block many years later they did.

So if you were to do your first ballot entry again what would you be applying for?

Thanks for the help!!

Good luck for the ballot,be mountain fit with a 30kgs pack on your back.

We got dark river 3rd period last year. It was our first fiordland experience. Although we did not see any old bull, we were right in the middle of the roar/ buggle. Came close to half a dozen young animals . Mate shot an old red but with only nine points. We had blue sky most of the time except one night and one morning of drizzle. The party that came on the forth period after us got rained on the whole week and did not hear a single noise. Yep core blocks might give you more chances of seeing a big wap, but if you intend to do multiple trips in the future, honestly as a first trip, pick any block and enjoy, and pray for a few dry days at least.
    woods223, Fred Fisherman and RV1 like this.

Go for the experience of buitifull fiordland,seeing a big wap is just a bonus.
    woods223 likes this.

You will have a awesome trip no matter what block you get costal blocks have their own perks of fishing and diving , and yes while core blocks may have a better chance at a mature bull this does not mean your going to get a chance at one one , hopefully one of you will be lucky enough but more then likely be prepared to walk away with nothing ! Learn what you can on ageing bulls a lot of and try view some heads in person to get an idea of just how big wapiti bulls can get . ( if you’re new to hunting would also recommend doing some big multi day missions 10 days in that country is awesome but can also humble you pretty quickly . If you don’t enter then you have 0% chance get amongst it even if you miss out the money is going to a good cause .
    Trout, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

I got drawn a couple years ago on my first attempt and got Loch Burn. 10 days no rain which was great, but no deer seen (except for one crossing the Milford Road on the drive home). We did have deer running through the campsite on one night and had another group of deer bump into the campsite on another night so it wasn't too bad. Best we could manage was a few non-committal roars from the low stags near the lake. Never made it up high.

What I learned that trip though has helped me focus my future hunting endeavors however. I now make sure I pack a bit lighter, get fitter and fine tune when and where I hunt and whom I hunt with. I am too time poor to hunt over such a long period and now focus my efforts in smaller time periods (3-4 days max).

If you have a group of likeminded mates, I'd just put in for any block. It's a great part of the country, and as a bonus the sandflies are very welcoming and don't discriminate!

I don't regret giving it a crack, but it wasn't for me.
    RV1 likes this.

Mmm, might have to apply with a couple of aussie mates.

Kind of depends what your goals are. If you want to get in and experience fiordland and are happy with not being in the best block genetic wise for trophies then go for it. On the contrary, if you are purely after a big old trophy bull then focus on core blocks. There’s a lot of variables inside that too, you have to be prepared for it to rain the whole time even if you have the best block in the park etc. Ask yourself if you are happy to spend the money and time to just accept whatever and experience it or if you will only spend the money and time for the best odds at a trophy. I’ve done two trips in there now, first one it was awesome weather for a week and we hunted roaring reds. Second was an outer wap block and it rained the whole time and we struggled to get onto animals. You can have an epic trip in the outer blocks if the cards fall into place. A lot of variables. For me personally now that I have had the experiences that fiordland offer, I now focus on going down to get a good block.

Agree with stagslayer. Have done two one got 1100mm rain but saw a massive bull in non core, 4th period which made the trip. Other had great weather in a core block seen a lot covered much more ground. Big commitment of funds for travel gear and getting fit enough to really make the most out of it. Awesome place to just be in and see being from the north island. I’ve only applied for more core type blocks in eastern side due to the travel/weather but have only got 2 drawn out of 14 attempts. Is an addictive place to go. Need to be really comfortable walking 3 hour plus up steep hills with 25-30 kg by time u get down there.

Luger burn March 2022 doing the trap line.

Saw 30 or so wap type animals which was awsome.

Flown in by M Hollows in the red 500.

Got flown out and over up to pick up 2 other guys in the upper and lower Glaisnock.

It's left me wanting to finally get my a into G and put in for next year's ballo6.Name:  20220227_143721.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  6.54 MB

Iv got an old uncle been living in Te Anu for the last 50yrs,i must go and stay with him.Do a fly in to some river flat hut.Do some short morning evening walks.Buitifull country down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Iv got an old uncle been living in Te Anu for the last 50yrs,i must go and stay with him.Do a fly in to some river flat hut.Do some short morning evening walks.Buitifull country down there.
    @Trout
    Well if you'll be in town I could take ya for a nosey for a finned or 4 legged creature

Thanks,see what happens in next year.Iv got grandsons in Mossburn,i can get deer easier enough down there.Next time im down in Te Anu il give you a call.Id like to see that 600yds shooter.

Member Say yer prayers varmint!'s Avatar
    Got to be in it to win it mate, just go for it. I put in for
    all blocks all periods last year.
    Didn’t think I’d pull a spot but ended up taking 3 other Fiordland virgins to Doon Block first period - it was my first pick aswel!
    Nice n Easy (ha!) lakeside block, cheapest it could get. Didn’t take a rifle - the photos I got were priceless.

Safe to say I am now addicted to the place. I will be down there at the briefing to try seagull a block if I luck out in the draw this time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trout and cb14 like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Say yer prayers varmint! View Post
    Got to be in it to win it mate, just go for it. I put in for
    all blocks all periods last year.
    Didn’t think I’d pull a spot but ended up taking 3 other Fiordland virgins to Doon Block first period - it was my first pick aswel!
    Nice n Easy (ha!) lakeside block, cheapest it could get. Didn’t take a rifle - the photos I got were priceless.

Safe to say I am now addicted to the place. I will be down there at the briefing to try seagull a block if I luck out in the draw this time round.

Few creeps around the fire there