Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First time Whitetail hunter needs advice.

  1. #1
    Member Malhunting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    975

    First time Whitetail hunter needs advice.

    Im heading to Cavalier block on the island at the start of August and was in need of some advice on that block and hunting Whitetail.
    And doe anyone know about diving over that way for a cray etc.

    Cheers
    Mal

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,120
    Take warm clothes and a dry suit. You will need both in August down there.

  3. #3
    Member outdoorlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,759
    Not sure about crays but you used to be able to get paua & kina down at the gutter (south end of the bay) could be worth taking a rod too, as for the whitetail, I'd try warm/sunny area's in the morning like along the sand dune/bush edge's, 20yrs since I hunted that block but it's a good spot. If you spook one there's a good chance of seeing them there again, they don't disappear out of the catchment like reds do. Sitting & watching well used game trails/feed area's is another good option. Good luck
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

  4. #4
    Member RichieRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    135
    Warm clothes, an umbrella for camp chores etc (You may get laughed at the start but if it rains like it can down there then the smile will be on your face) and fishing gear
    Whitetail stick to about 300-500m from the coast from everything that i've read and i shot mine within 400m of the beach (that was the northeast corner of Stewart Island though).
    No real trick just lots of QUIET stalking and steer clear of crown fern if you can, their ears are the size of their heads!

    I know a guy that did bird counts for DOC down there. it consisted of walking transects in the bush, stopping at every intersect (every 50 or so metres) sitting down for 10 mins to listen and note what birds he heard and how often he heard them. He heard a lot of birds......... as well seeing 3 whitetail, one of them being a trophy buck.
    The buck not realising he was there wondered right up to him, he said hi to it, it bolted and stuck its head behind a log, body in full view!

    hope this helps

    RR

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    192
    Been to the island twice and shot 2. drop some broadleaf on the first day and then check to see whats been eaten the next. Find a tree and wait dawn and dusk. Team of 12 of us shot 13 deer in 10 days doing this with bows.
    Toby likes this.

  6. #6
    Member JoshC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southland/Otago
    Posts
    3,241
    You'll be fine mate, your stalking skills are very good. No more difficult to hunting the spots you have been frequenting lately. We'll sort out the best spots and I'll go there and you can have everywhere else


    We won't be breaking off broadleaf and baiting the deer, anyone who visits the island regularly (like me) will likely agree that this is done far too often. Some clearings and beach edges are absolutely littered with dead stalks of broadleaf poked into the ground. There are areas where you're lucky to find broadleaf because hunters have broken it all down!
    PerazziSC3 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

  7. #7
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,724
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    You'll be fine mate, your stalking skills are very good. No more difficult to hunting the spots you have been frequenting lately. We'll sort out the best spots and I'll go there and you can have everywhere else


    We won't be breaking off broadleaf and baiting the deer, anyone who visits the island regularly (like me) will likely agree that this is done far too often. Some clearings and beach edges are absolutely littered with dead stalks of broadleaf poked into the ground. There are areas where you're lucky to find broadleaf because hunters have broken it all down!
    +1 it has got out our hand and is no different to baiting deer and hunting like yanks IMO.
    There is enough leaf litter after a good blow to make the animals active and noisier than usual gobbling it up.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,298
    havent been to that block but all good advice so far, its pretty easy country i found and my advice would be to start hunting as soon as you walk out the door as we saw deer very close to the hut. Im not one to sit around all day watching a bit of broadleaf as i get bored shitless, just stalk quietly and slowly like any other piece of bush in new zealand.
    or tear around and cover shit loads of ground and do the old spook and shoot.

    Both methods are productive

  9. #9
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    Warm clothes, an umbrella for camp chores etc (You may get laughed at the start but if it rains like it can down there then the smile will be on your face) and fishing gear
    Whitetail stick to about 300-500m from the coast from everything that i've read and i shot mine within 400m of the beach (that was the northeast corner of Stewart Island though).
    No real trick just lots of QUIET stalking and steer clear of crown fern if you can, their ears are the size of their heads!

    I know a guy that did bird counts for DOC down there. it consisted of walking transects in the bush, stopping at every intersect (every 50 or so metres) sitting down for 10 mins to listen and note what birds he heard and how often he heard them. He heard a lot of birds......... as well seeing 3 whitetail, one of them being a trophy buck.
    The buck not realising he was there wondered right up to him, he said hi to it, it bolted and stuck its head behind a log, body in full view!

    hope this helps

    RR
    Dont know if that is 100%? I shot my only whitetail just above the high tide mark. It ran into the water when hit... There is always heaps of prints on any beach at low tide...

  10. #10
    Member RichieRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    135
    Apologies i meant the 1st 300-500m from the coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Dont know if that is 100%? I shot my only whitetail just above the high tide mark. It ran into the water when hit... There is always heaps of prints on any beach at low tide...

  11. #11
    If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mighty Manawatu
    Posts
    2,739
    What calibre are you using?
    I found my 222 was perfect, they are not big deer.

    I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

  12. #12
    Member Malhunting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    975
    Fully suppressed 7-08 will be rifle of choice for this trip.
    Im wondering if anyone has left a weight belt over there somewhere for diving, its gonna be hard to get my one on the plane and not hit weight limits, pushing it i know but it would be handy.

  13. #13
    Member JoshC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southland/Otago
    Posts
    3,241
    I'm just taking a mask and snorkel. No wetsuit, you'll be sweet. It's only cold for a bit.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

  14. #14
    If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mighty Manawatu
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I'm just taking a mask and snorkel. No wetsuit, you'll be sweet. It's only cold for a bit.
    No Wetsuit, Shit you must be a tough barstard.

    I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

  15. #15
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    No Wetsuit, Shit you must be a tough barstard.
    Or a bit chubby?
    JoshC likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Long time wannabee hunter, short time FA "owner"
    By peril 787b in forum Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 08:50 AM
  2. Howdy, 1st time poster long time gun nut signing in.
    By Chupacabra in forum Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28-05-2013, 07:15 PM
  3. Hornady american whitetail ammo.
    By Clint Ruin in forum Shooting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-11-2012, 08:35 PM
  4. Advice Please
    By nzdragons in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
  5. White Whitetail
    By Wildman in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-01-2012, 12:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!