Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: First Trip

Epic trip you did none the less and a bit wiser at the end of it.

As a consolation, I know roughly where my near new 60Csx GPS is hiding from me

Actually I managed to dismantle and flush with isopropyl alcohol then let it evaporate. Almost like new, but slightly hazy optics.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .375H&H View Post
    Hi guys I'v just had my first adventurous trip to find some deer with no avail... I did manage to loose a range finder and get quite wet! All safe and sound though.

Just wondering if my approach was right?

I was hunting Deer Vally in the Lewis pass range. (Yes the range finder is still up there so if you find it it's all yours)
    I chose this area A:because it had a track leading to the tops so I wouldn't get too lost. B: There were a few what i thought were nice looking head basins. So up hill I slogged. Once I reached the tops about 2:30 I figured deer would still be bedded down so I sat down to glassed numerous deer looking tussock.

I thought the terrain looked right for a Red or maybe a Chamois.

Maybe its the wrong time to hunt the tops?
    WARO could of shot the place up?
    Was it the weather?
    Or are there just no Deer in this part of the range?

hopefully these photo's will show up maybe this just isn't deer country?

Cheers for your help guys
    Can you get there crack of dawn? or dose that require an overnighter? awesome looking spot man to me id guess theres heaps over by the north facing bush edges in the sunrise good luck look forward to next report.

Hey Uplandstalker it's a Luepold 1000 tbr range finder quite small black not the camo one but doubt that will help it stand out anymore!

Last I had it was when i looked into the basin on your left as your almost at the top. The wind was blowing in my face so figured my cent hadn't spooked anything. After not seeing anything I picked back up onto the track climbed to the top were it leads out onto that gravel patch from there I dropped down to above those three little ponds. Reached under my jacket to find a closed but empty pouch!

If your in the area i wish you more luck than me! I'm thinking of hitting the river flats just before Engineers Camp next time dawn raid something like that you had any luck down there?
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.