Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes
  • 26 Post By Rees
  • 1 Post By NRT
  • 2 Post By imaca
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Follow up thread on the Aussie in NZ.

Follow up thread on the Aussie in NZ.

Well, Been back in Aus for a little while now and havn been on the site since, prior to that I was hangin round here like a fly to a dingos ass , asking alot of questions and quizzing a few of You guys about alot of stuff, So it only right to drop back round the camp fire and share a few storys of my time in NZ's southern alps and take 5 minutes to Thank you guys here who have given me any info, replied to any PMs and gave any encouragement as i tackled on the critters in these big hills. I really do appreciate it and found the kiwis in general to be alot more open with their hunting endevours, locations and hot tips for certain areas.. alot of which rang true.

One special mention is to a Family of dedicated , Huntin-Mad trio of Blokes who answered one of my Posts in regards to a base camp/place to crash closer to the mountains than Dunedin an for incase bad stints of weather came through, an of course the Hot Shower!!! So good!!
    Cannot thank them enough on a public forum but these fellas took me under their Wing an really showed me a thing or two about hunting in NZ an cannot forget to mention the shearers quaters that i was given a bit of free reign in whenever i was in that area... a blessing. always welcomed here an am looking forward to showing them the Victorian Sambar and some bush huntin!

covering the Thanks and appreciates finally is a group of GCs who also through me under the bus as soon as i landed in NZ, the B.O.Bs welcomed me and offered any assistance where possible from tip of the north to the bottom of the south , feel like theres some lifetime connections there and also returning favours where possible.

so from there i'll start at the start of my NZ trophy hunt stint startin from January through until the start of the Roar (end of March).

First up, I lucked out on a spot i'd always wanted to go to, finally i found myself on a reccy trip there, seen some animals but had no gun.
    back once i got a gun an up on the tops i found heaps of Chamois
    i took a nice Buck at 330m with me mossberg 270 , in the Aspiring National Park.

Then i shot a young red for camp meat

also a young tahr in the ahurirri up an across from the base hut

Then i got into some magic country and finally found some good bull tahrs, i shot one an an unseen bull took off so i followed up on him too

Was super stoked on that mission about 5 days up.
    rested an then went chasen Reds, found this one late arvo up on a rocky slip so i gave a climb an shot him, big of ground shrinkage but first nz red!

then did heaps of hunting march and got serious about it, seen lots an lots of game

then shot a farken ripper 13 1/2 inch bull!

and 2 days later shot a ripper Red Stag in epic circumstances-- videos are available on patreon /hilldogtv but heres some pics of him!

Ticked alot of Boxes, Still Smiling, Plans to go back are there but....looks a bit chilly at the moment

Hooroo and Thanks again- Will see yas in the Hills!

cheers
    Rees!
    Tahr, NRT, madjon_ and 23 others like this.

NRT
    Good on ya Mate,put in the work get the results well done.
    Rees likes this.

Cheers mate, you have had an epic trip all right, out there doing it.
    Two things'.
    From the thread title I thought it was about that other aussie who f***ed it up for the rest of us in NZ, pleased it was something else
    Mad respect for the beard growing capability

mac
    MB and Rees like this.

great stuff,awesome photos and even better memories for you to look back on.
    looks like you really put in the hard yards and deserved the rewards,good on ya.
    Rees likes this.

What a trip. Good to see some great trophies for your efforts.