Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Foreigner looking for weekend hunt opportunities in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by aballoga View Post
    I definately would like to get out and shoot something interesting in Australia if possible, where I'll have more time on the ground to figure things out. The NZ portion I'll want to plan in advance to save some on airfare. A smaller "natural" stag would do just fine. You have to understand how irresistible these racks are to someone who grew up hunting elk, they're just beautiful. If you don't mind, I'll PM you to ask more about you're DIY excursions to the islands, very curious.
    No dramas man shoot one through.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Foreigner looking for weekend hunt opportunities in New Zealand

Chamois, red deer, fallow, tahr (with decent fitness) I could get you onto in a weekend- low chances of a world class trophy, but will definitely see animals and hunt properly-the kiwi way. Flick me a pm if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JoshC; 18-05-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    sako75, Munsey and Wanderer like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Aballoga you will do well going out with Josh

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Aballoga you will do well going out with Josh
    Sarah wont be happy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Sarah wont be happy about it!
    Ha, that's why you send them on holiday when you go hunting...
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    Hi Aballoga. I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who would be happy to take you out for a hunt, but 2 days is quite short to get to areas away from everyone else. I believe that if you are supervised by someone with a firearms license, then you don't require one yourself, so going with someone else and using their rifle under their supervision would be easiest for you.

June/July is mid winter here, so will be snow on most of the South Island mountains. I flew over them yesterday afternoon, and we have just had the first real snowfall of the year - everything above the bush line was covered in snow.

If you are ever down this way again in Spring (Sept/Oct) or Autumn (late April/May) I could put you onto a spot where you will see Red Deer, and I believe the fishing is okay - but you really need 4 days because of where it is. Plenty of deer though, was there 3 weeks ago and every time we went out hunting we saw deer. My 13 year old son shot 2 hinds and a stag. Not a lifetime trophy by any means, but typical of the area. This is on public land, with nearby private (very basic) hut accommodation, so cost is minimal.

It would be fair to say that there are more deer around now than I have ever known, and you can find them in some pretty unlikely places, so good luck.
    Thanks Saur for the info, I'll pack the warm stuff. It looks like this will be a one shot opportunity for me, at least in the near future - so an autumn or spring visit isn't in the cards. But your hospitality is appreciated, same goes for the rest of you. I'm beginning to get optimistic this is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Ha, that's why you send them on holiday when you go hunting...
    haha, Sarah sounds like a charming and very understanding gal, will try not to get anyone in trouble. Josh - lets talk, messaging you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by aballoga View Post
    haha, Sarah sounds like a charming and very understanding gal, will try not to get anyone in trouble. Josh - lets talk, messaging you shortly.
    When we married she vowed never to get in the way of my passion for hunting and the outdoors. So yep, shes very understanding.

Sounds good.

Aballoga arrives on Saturday - just grabbed a weekend - flies in Saturday and out Monday! I'm taking him on a red deer/chamois mission in Otago public land. Should be good - hoping to get him a couple of animals - or at least see one or two! Will throw a report up after the trip.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Aballoga arrives on Saturday - just grabbed a weekend - flies in Saturday and out Monday! I'm taking him on a red deer/chamois mission in Otago public land. Should be good - hoping to get him a couple of animals - or at least see one or two! Will throw a report up after the trip.
    What a good bugger.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Good luck team - Aballoga, I'm sure you will have a ball. Hats off to you Josh, for making the effort.
    Sniper likes this.