Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Goats

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
    Yeah cheers for that. Next time I go for a wander hopefully they'll be there and I'll check them out in more detail.

    Does anyone know if it is possible for the poison to cause any deformity? One of them had its head permanently twisted down to the right, its eyes appeared to barely open, it was seriously slow to move and one horn went out to the left whilst the other went straight up, vertically. In comparison to the others it just looked weird as hell. I took some photos but they don't really show much as it was at the max range of my phones capabilities
    That'll have to be something genetic, i've seen it alot in goats too. First time i'd seen it figured it must have fallen at some point and broken its neck so ran it down and put it out of its misery. However since seen it multiple times so figure its a birth defect of some sort thats specific to goats?

    All the ones i'd seen were in otherwise good condition, though they don't run so well when spooked... One was a nanny with a couple of kids, all healthy enough.

  2. #17
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    2,157
    Iv come across it a few times with sheep guessing itl be the same thing in goats its called wry neck , birth defect from being twisted up in the womb it fucks up there neck,front sholders they walk around funny some of the ones iv seen don't even have much of a neck at all most farmers just tap them on the head but now n again someones kids take pity on the little freaks & turn them into big freaks that are a pain to shear.
    Marty Henry and BLABLANZ like this.

  3. #18
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,982
    Most pet sheep are a pain to shear

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Godzone, South Island
    Posts
    692
    Have worked in a couple of 1080 areas with goats - word is from the operators that goats are way too smart to take 1080 baits, if they do they die. I watched a mob for over a week camped up near a ridge, lots of fresh 1080 baits all around, not a single sick or dead goat, they all walked past them. Shoot and eat with confidence I say

  5. #20
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Have worked in a couple of 1080 areas with goats - word is from the operators that goats are way too smart to take 1080 baits, if they do they die. I watched a mob for over a week camped up near a ridge, lots of fresh 1080 baits all around, not a single sick or dead goat, they all walked past them. Shoot and eat with confidence I say
    Yep, saw a similar thing up in Kaikoura country after a 1080 drop.

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    2,487
    If any animal is still walking around after the baits have broken down they will be ok to eat. We were taught that even if you ate meat off an animal that had died from 1080 you couldn't eat enough in one sitting to get a lethal dose. I still wouldn't risk that scenario but that's what was taught, same as with water from a pond and if field prepared bait was dumped in it you couldn't drink enough to be poisoned( can't remember the amount of bait and liters of water but it wasn't huge volumes.
    We never encountered dead goats when I worked on the TB operations in the king Country in the 80's and we poisoned big areas. Back then the sowing rate was way higher around 10 -15 kg a/ h not like the 2-3 kg /h sow rate mostly used today. We did find a few deer dead but there were always live ones still running around. So yes you could eat the meat but if it niggles at you the fact it's a poison area wait till the caution period has past then get into them.

  7. #22
    Member kimjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,633
    Goat's like what they know. They aren't very adventurous in their diet, trending to eat their most preferred food until its gone...then they'll eat the next best thing until its gone...

    That's why goats (and deer to a slightly lesser extent) are such bad news for the nz bush. Their selective browsing reduces the forest to a narrow selection of trees that aren't that palatable to their tastes. A stunning example of this would be pepper wood forests like Clements mill rd, the sika don't eat it...so that's all there is left.

    So long story short, goats don't tend to eat cereal 1080 as it's to different for them to even want to eat it. Hence why doc still contacts goat hunters.

    Kj
    sometimes, Cspence and BLABLANZ like this.

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Goat's like what they know. They aren't very adventurous in their diet, trending to eat their most preferred food until its gone...then they'll eat the next best thing until its gone...

    That's why goats (and deer to a slightly lesser extent) are such bad news for the nz bush. Their selective browsing reduces the forest to a narrow selection of trees that aren't that palatable to their tastes. A stunning example of this would be pepper wood forests like Clements mill rd, the sika don't eat it...so that's all there is left.

    So long story short, goats don't tend to eat cereal 1080 as it's to different for them to even want to eat it. Hence why doc still contacts goat hunters.

    Kj
    Cheers KJ,

    Took a rifle back to the spot yesterday and for my first time back at the spot since the post and didn't see any of the buggers. Maybe I need to go hunting without my rifle in the future if I actually want to see animals. Bloody murphys law right there

  9. #24
    Member kimjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
    Cheers KJ,

    Took a rifle back to the spot yesterday and for my first time back at the spot since the post and didn't see any of the buggers. Maybe I need to go hunting without my rifle in the future if I actually want to see animals. Bloody murphys law right there
    Sounds like my bow I'm sure someone spilt deer repellant on it.
    BLABLANZ likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Goats in the bop
    By JaydenMcN in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  2. First goats.
    By possum trapper in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 19-02-2014, 05:32 PM
  3. Dam Goats
    By seano in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 08:31 PM
  4. Dog on goats
    By Munsey in forum Hunting Dogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
  5. Dog on goats
    By Munsey in forum Dogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!