Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By Vanman

Thread: Goats near Nelson

Goats near Nelson

After many years off, I'm getting back into hunting, and training up two boys and a Viszla puppy.

We've been doing a lot of possuming on a private block out Dovedale way which everyone loved, me included.

I'm thinking it's time to dust the .243 off and see if we can get onto some goats. I figure they are going to be easier given the kids struggle to stay quiet a lot of the time (I'm sure they will get the hang of it eventually).

I know where there are always goats on the south side of Mt. Owen, but was wondering if there is anywhere closer to Nelson, on DOC land, where were might get onto some.

I'm not after anyone's secret spot, just some general pointers.

There are bound to be goats on the coastal bluffs of the area of Mt Richmond forest park up the coast from Delaware Bay, but I don't know how to get two boys and a puppy in there.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Saw 5 goats in different spots on road from Murchison back towards the big hang bridge, going to spring junction , within 12km from murchison , bush showing heavy signs of goat feeding, ms stopped me from doing the wrong thing from the road,vif I had my bow here..., steep climb , but very doable. Hope that helps , there's roadworks , just past that saw 1st one

Jus
    The hacket track has a few, mainly bush stalking though. Would pay to take a bicycle each as it’s a long boring walk to get into the doc.
    Inwoods lookout has heaps, about an hours drive west, mt duppa has some but I think it’s shit for logging atm. Take the boys into the Leatham for a night in one of the huts, always a few goats in the river beds this time of the year

Jus
    Oh, and the whangamoas, usually see some on the side of the road. Just park up where the doc land is and go for a walk, good chance there I think. Just rope up ya dog near the road

Have you asked at the local DoC office?
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm going to hit up DOC to see if they know where there are likely to be goats. I've got a mate who works in the Nelson office, and he'll know the people who actually get out and about.

I've got by DOC hunting permit, and I'm about to sort my dog permit.

Up the Hackett could be our first mission. I've been up to the chromite mines and Hackett hut with the boys before, so know the areas a little bit.

Cheers
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.