Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: A Good Result For Hunters - Well Done.

BSA

A Good Result For Hunters - Well Done.

After submissions from Hunters OSPRI have postponed the Whitcombe/Mungo - Newton Range 1080 operation. Well done submitters.

OSPRI recognises that there is deer by-kill as a result of 1080, however, deer repellent is not currently approved for use in the Whitcombe/Mungo – Newton Range due to the presence of Kea.

To allow for further research to be undertaken in the Kea/1080/deer repellent space and the collection of additional TB information, the Whitcombe/Mungo – Newton Range operation will be postponed
    until further notice.
    Slug, rugerman, Shearer and 9 others like this.

I wonder why a deer repellent actually attracts kea ? sounds a bit weird

And they have postponed the Rainbow drop as well, I have a lot of time for OSPRI

OSPRI also received several submissions opposing the Rainbow operation. Due to the presence of Kea in the area, deer repellent is not approved for use. Following discussions with the Department of Conservation, OSPRI will postpone the Rainbow aerial operation until risk to Kea can be further understood and sufficiently mitigated.

Just goes to show submissions aren't a waste of time, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    I BELIEVE the deer repelant is blood/blood flavour ...and keas are omnivours
    Dama dama likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

well you folks who hunt those areas..get out and get some spring venison...if its feasable to do so...we have got to be seen to be out there controlling numbers.
    kiwijames, Gibo, chainsaw and 3 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    DOC don't know if it does or it doesn't attract Kea so therefore its a no from them

Keep in mind that OSPRI (AKA The ex -animal health board) after chucking 1080 poison around willy nilly since 1998 are still " trying it on" regardless.
    Good effort those who objected; but the truth is , that by now you should'nt have had to.
    tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

As long as there are operating factories around making the stuff, it will always be dropped. Maybe not this time in a given area but sooner or later. . . .
    Last edited by Allizdog; 17-11-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    DOC don't know if it does or it doesn't attract Kea so therefore its a no from them
    The dried blood that is used as deer repellant may well attract Kea, however the Kea will be far more attracted to the smell of the grain used to make the pellet, they are after all 'seed eaters'
    chainsaw, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Good stuff, now it's your turn West coast hunters to do your bit.

There was some media attention on Kea by-kill from 10-80 drops, I wonder if this is the main reason for the delay.

It's a rabbit hole I'm not going down again but had there been a properly organised trapping training facility established and funded 20+ years back, as Scribe tried to do, and that alternative management regime been the "go to" the bTB problem would have been solved a decade ago and also the rat and mustelid problem in targeted areas. A proffessional career and rural employment service industry which would have had significant socio-economic and environmental benefits all round instead of the sick situation that now exists.
    7mmwsm and ROKTOY like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I think many have the wrong idea here. i can tell you the postponement has next to nothing to do with the submissions or deer by kill.
    Docs priority are the well being of the Kea as 1080 has taken a huge toll on them and its getting to a dangerious level on thier survival.

They trailing a new bird repellant, in fact 2 so they hope Kea wont eat 1080
    Testing and results are still not confirmed if its actually going to work plus if the predators are still going to take the bait.
    Until they can come up with something that will either stop or reduce kea deaths in areas where there are numbers of kea all posion drops have been postponed.

Deer by kill, submissions against drops without deer repellant have nothing to do with this decision.

Doc still dont give a hoot about the deer, they still want deer by kill and they are still a pest as far as they are concern.

This is another PR bs spin to make the NZDA and fellow hunters think they are concerned about our concerns...THEY NOT
    Just makes me laugh that people still think the crap DOC spits out is the trulth, nothing but the trulth lol.

They have denied 1080 had anything to do with kea deaths for years, it was slowly but surely wiping them out.

Its panic stations now, so thank the kea about the stops of these drops but its going to happen, be it if theres deer repellant or not but Doc doesnt really care
    Years of history will tell you this ....
    Carbine, m101a1 and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    There was some media attention on Kea by-kill from 10-80 drops, I wonder if this is the main reason for the delay.
    More likely this