Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: GPS?

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I recently bought an eTrex 20 and have loaded a few topo overlays and its very good. Cost was about $230 from PB Tech. Dougie scored my old eTrex which I'd had for a few years. I don't think the eTrex 10 can load topo overlays .
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Like VC said, phone with GPS in it - doesn't need cell cover. I use airplane mode when out of cover so it doesn't drain the battery searching for signal all the time.
    Didnt think of that thanks Benny! I use my phone and it keeps me out of trouble.. i keep a map in my pack that i print of topo maps for reference to save batery once i've got my current location!.. Sorry, Thread hi-jack!

I had a etrex 10 but they dont take maps.
    I bought the 20 mainly because it had a much longer battry life than other hand helds in my price range.
    You can alter the amount of detail too the point it can be far too cluttered in most cases.
    Ive never had issues geting a fix even in ghe kaimais.
    The trip computer is fantastic in the little boat ,the maps too when exploring rivers.
    It works fine in the landcruiser sitting on tge dash.
    My flash galaxy 3 will show my position on google earth in the middle of the bush , but gps eats data $$$ eats battrys FAST and its not water proof and 3 times the price of an etrex20
    And take a compass and spare battrys .
    I like my stock compass holder thingy ,its mint.Name:  20131006_113818.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  179.9 KB
    BushHunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    ...but gps eats data $$$ eats battrys FAST and its not water proof and 3 times the price of an etrex20
    GPS doesn't use your data, its just receiving a signal thats being broadcast regardless (unless the US govt decides to turn it off). If it needed data it wouldn't work without signal. Google maps chews data though!

My battery will last about a day with it using GPS the whole time, but usually I just flick it on for a sporadic fix. Plus mine is waterproof, and seeing as I had it for a phone already the $10 for the app was much less than an etrex.

Agreed that you wouldn't buy a smartphone just to use it for GPS though!
    Last edited by GravelBen; 06-10-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    The eTrex 20 uses both the US NAVSTAR GPS constellation and the Russian GLONASS one which I thought was a nice feature, pretty much doubles you chances of getting a fix.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

I think you must be mistaken. The Russians dont have any sattelites
    I have a simple app on my smartphone called NZ Grid Reference. It does what it says on the tin, in that it simply gives your current 6 figure grid ref so you can cross ref to paper map. Very accurate and quick so far, although I havent tried it in the bush yet.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    GPS doesn't use your data, its just receiving a signal thats being broadcast regardless (unless the US govt decides to turn it off). If it needed data it wouldn't work without signal. Google maps chews data though!

My battery will last about a day with it using GPS the whole time, but usually I just flick it on for a sporadic fix. Plus mine is waterproof, and seeing as I had it for a phone already the $10 for the app was much less than an etrex.

Agreed that you wouldn't buy a smartphone just to use it for GPS though!
    I think we agree , I could have worded it better. Either way any gps will do better than a phone in the long run.

Awesome guys, thanks for all the info.
    I guess the main thing i was worried about was the whole signal thing in the bush. But from the messages it looks as though the 20 is all good.
    YAY, new toy coming up soon

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    The eTrex 20 uses both the US NAVSTAR GPS constellation and the Russian GLONASS one which I thought was a nice feature, pretty much doubles you chances of getting a fix.
    Ah didn't know the wee handhelds were doing that too, thats good - especially for NZ, we get better GLONASS coverage here than GPS thanks to the orbits necessary to take satellites over Russia. There is also the European 'Galileo' system being developed and the Chinese are putting one up too, COMPASS I think. But I'm not sure how many satellites they have up at this stage.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    I had a etrex 10 but they dont take maps.
    I bought the 20 mainly because it had a much longer battry life than other hand helds in my price range.
    You can alter the amount of detail too the point it can be far too cluttered in most cases.
    Ive never had issues geting a fix even in ghe kaimais.
    The trip computer is fantastic in the little boat ,the maps too when exploring rivers.
    It works fine in the landcruiser sitting on tge dash.
    My flash galaxy 3 will show my position on google earth in the middle of the bush , but gps eats data $$$ eats battrys FAST and its not water proof and 3 times the price of an etrex20
    And take a compass and spare battrys .
    I like my stock compass holder thingy ,its mint.Attachment 14975
    Thanks, I'm looking at a 20 as well and that's the sorta info I was looking for, Cheer's.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    10 can take maps can't it?
    Can it? I tried loading on the those free maps back when I got it but nothing happened when I did. Maybe I'll have to try again.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Can it? I tried loading on the those free maps back when I got it but nothing happened when I did. Maybe I'll have to try again.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Last time i looked they couldnt. Pretty sure nothing has changed.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/AU/on-t...prod87768.html

Comes with a base map but you cannot add maps.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I've been using Backcountry Navigator on my phone. Download the area you want (or all NZ in my case) while at home on the WiFi and then into the hills I go. Remember to put the phone into Flight Mode to save battery life(the phone searching for signal uses more power than the GPS). The App costs about $15 (only on Android, pretty sure there is something similar for Apple users - but would cost more and do less).

Also, I'm a surveyor and work for the company that created the Navstar (GPS) system in the 1970's and don't worry about the US government turning it off!!!

I have the etrex20 and its mint, good for marking dive spots too
    Sniper likes this.
    A silly fuk is better than a serious wank