Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: A Great Opportunity

I've also been taking some time to do a bit of prep over lockdown. Last weekend I spent a bit of time stripping down a couple of rifles for a deep clean and oil. Couple days ago I lined all the knives up in a row for a proper sharpen and oil. Re-organised the gear drawers. Tied a few fishing flies.

Pulled everything out of the freezer and re-organised that according to cuts/species and how long things have been in there- moved all the oldest stuff to the top to cycle things through (running low on the game front now, but thanks to a couple of good sessions in Welly Harbour right before lockdown have still got a bit of vac-packed kingi to keep us going for a bit).

Have spent more time in the kitchen honing a few recipes and experimenting with a few new ones. Also been virtually exploring- having just moved from way down south to Welly I'm now hunting in unknown territory, so making the most of this time to do some research, consult google earth, trawl (not to be confused with troll ) the forum etc.

& like many of us no doubt, been getting my weekly hunting fill vicariously through NZ Hunters Club on telly. Also purchased the online version of Hunters Clubs new season too, and been rewatching eps from the old seasons I've bought too.

The gear spreadsheets are a great idea. Learnt the hard way a few times. I have several as well- one for my old mans boat, one for my freshwater fishing trips, and one for hunting trips. I don't bother with one for my dive trips as that gear is basically used for dive trips and nothing else, whereas a lot of stuff I'd pack for fly fishing trips also goes on hunting trips.
    @wekaman Weight is always a consideration, but I'd never thought to put my gear weight into the spreadsheet and simply tally. That's a great idea and one I'll definitely steal
    wekaman and LuckyShot like this.